Where to get coffee and snacks inbetween classes: Trader Bing’s and theDAM

Trader Bing’s Cafe

Iraiza de Vera Arts & Entertainment Contributor

Trader Bing’s

Whether you are an entrepreneur, a professor or just a freshman business major, you can enjoy white-collar food and drinks at Trader Bing’s cafe. Trader Bing’s is located on the first floor of Austin Hall on the western side of campus. Over three different kind of coffee beans are served from Portland Roasting Coffee, Papua New Guinea, and Stumptown Coffee Roasters.

Atmosphere: There is soft, upbeat music playing that contributes to the overall joyful atmosphere in the cafe.

The noise level is low since it is located in a corner of the Austin Hall lobby. Comfortable couches and even desks are placed along the parameters of the cafe.

The counter area is open to the rest of Austin where you will find additional seating and fireside lounge areas.

Customer Service: The employees at Trader Bing’s greet every customer with a smile.

The cafe is well staffed and work very quickly. Even with food orders, Trader Bing’s will not keep you waiting.

Menu: Salads, wraps, sandwiches, and soup are just some of the food options offered. New Morning Makery delivers fresh pastries for them to serve in their case.

There are specialy dietary options, including gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options. The most popular item on the menu is “The Stockbroker”: a turkey, apple and brie sandwhich. They serve refreshing lemonades with flavors that include lavender and mixed berries.

What to try: Their white chocolate macadamia nut latte is a must-try! It is delicously sweet and creamy for when you want a treat. The signature macaroni which cheese features three different kinds of cheese, is top of the line taste at an affordable price.

Review rating: Four and a half stars

Hours: Mon. to Thurs. 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Fri. 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Closed Sat. and Sun.

The DAM

In the heart of the Learning Innovation Center, theDAM serves hundreds of busy students passing through the lobby on their way to and from class. They proudly use Sorano espresso from Portland Roasting Coffee. TheDAM is attached to a convenient store filled with snacks for any craving.

Atmosphere: There is no seating designated for theDAM, but there are plenty of chairs and desks in the Learning Innovation Center. This cafe is structured like a cove that opens up to the rest of the lobby. The noise level is high due to the amount of foot traffic in the building. However, it is perfect for on-the-go snacks and coffee.

Customer Service: The employees are friendly and attentive. They are quick to make your drink and will deliver it to you with a smile. If you cannot decide on what to order, feel free to ask and they will be more than willing to help.

Menu: There are options from New Morning bakery, Pangea and bagels. TheDAM is also featuring a new ciabatta breakfast sandwich for an easy way to catch a meal before class. They use Ghirardelli syrup to give their drinks a “signature” taste.

What to try: The white chocolate raspberry mocha is the most popular drink here. Want something more refreshing? Try the peppermint mocha.

Review rating: Four stars

Hours: Mon. to Thurs. 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Fri. 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Closed Sat. and Sun.