OSU schedules public forums for discussing tuition rates, seeks student input

General News Graphic

Jada Krening, News Reporter

Oregon State University students and community members are being presented with a new opportunity to provide input regarding future tuition levels.  

In preparation for the 2019-20 school year, the University Budget Committee and Office of Fiscal Planning have organized a series of weekly open forums to discuss Oregon State University tuition recommendations and proposals. The open forums will consist of a reading of common questions about tuition, an explanation of the process and an open discussion amongst the group.

The first forum is scheduled for Friday at 3 p.m. in Memorial Union room 213. Information regarding common questions about tuition can be accessed on the OSU Office of Budget & Fiscal Planning website.

“These are really intended to be an opportunity for students and other members of the community to ask questions and provide comment about tuition,” Sherman Bloomer, director of Budget and Fiscal Planning, said via email.

Open forums will take place throughout the months of January, February and March, and will be located in the Memorial Ballroom. Rooms vary from meeting to meeting.

Public comments made in the open forums will be provided to the University Budget Committee as input, in addition to being included in a summarized committee report to be presented to the president and the board. Bloomer noted that the committee itself does not make decisions, but rather provides advice and recommendations to the president and provost.

Bloomer described the open forums as a “new effort.” The purpose of the meetings are to give students and other members of the community the opportunity to ask questions, provide comments and express concerns in regards to university tuition.

“The campus is really big and we’re trying to get as much engagement from students as we can in preparing the recommendations that will eventually wind up in front of the Board,” Bloomer said via email.