OSUPC, local cinemas host movie nights

Patrons hand over tickets before entering the theatre at the local AMC Corvallis 12 movie theatre, located on 750 NE Circle Blvd. The theatre is working with OSU Program Council to offer free admission with student ID twice a month to see movies.

Jarred Bierbrauer Reporter

Scheduled movie nights allow students access for free.

Free movie nights continue throughout spring term for Oregon State University students as the OSU Program Council and OSU Late Night programming work together to bring movie entertainment off campus and into local a Corvallis theater.

With a valid student ID, the AMC Corvallis 12 theater will hand out 100 movie vouchers to students on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, excluding holidays, for a movie of the student’s choice.

Zack Simmons, director of OSUPC, said OSUPC works in conjunction with OSU Late Night Programming to put on movie nights for a number of reasons.

“We’ve quickly realized that offering students the ability to see movies at local theaters in Corvallis for free is a student need and desire based off of attendance at these events,” Simmons said via email. “We think it’s not only a great way to get OSU students into the Corvallis community more, but also giving students an alternative event to do on a weekend night that has never really been offered before.”

According to OSUPC’s Facebook page, the ticket vouchers are handed out the night of the screening at the theater starting at 8:50 p.m. and are valid for a free movie that same night. Tickets will be distributed until the capacity is reached or until the start of the last showtime.

Simmons said that with the free movie night option, money is not a factor for OSU students, and that seeing a movie at home is not as exciting as going to a theater.

“The concessions, the early release of movies, the big screen and large sound system really make a difference,” Simmons said via email. “I also think getting out of your home and going out to the movies with friends makes going to the movies a social event where memories are formed, something that OSU Program Council constantly strives for in our programming.”

William Parr, a first-year student and University Exploratory Studies major, used OSUPC’s free movie opportunity throughout winter term.

“I had a great time at the theaters,” Parr said. “The free tickets are great for people who can’t afford to go to the movies, and it’s so much better than watching at home.”

With OSUPC’s free movie nights, however, students do not need to pay for their ticket as long as they have proof of enrollment. Winter term movies shown included “Black Panther,” “Justice League,” “Coco” and more. Simmons encourages students to take advantage of the free movie nights that are offered to OSU students.

“As a college student, going to the movies frequently can get expensive quickly, so we hope with these movie nights are making the cinematic experience more accessible to OSU students,” said Simmons via email.

There are other programs distributed by OSU in order to give students a less expensive and more accessible experience for film entertainment.

According to the University Housing and Dining Services website, Beaver Movie Streaming, Xfinity On Campus IPTV and Pac 12 live streaming are all different resources that can be used freely by students on campus.

Jon Lewis, a film professor for OSU, said that film culture is hugely significant.

“Like Kanopy here at OSU, I think it’s terrific. The more different sorts of films, foreign films, art films, independent films, older films, students/young filmgoers see, the better,” said Lewis via email.

Those without transportation to the theater are able to use the Corvallis Transit System’s Night Owl, which runs from 8:45 p.m. until 2:45 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.