OSU updates Shared Governance Agreement and Student Bill of Rights

Max Braly, News/Sports Chief

Early Tuesday evening two Oregon State University legislative documents were signed by both OSU President Ed Ray and ASOSU President Rachel Grisham during the Spring Student Leadership Reception.

The signatures updated the university’s Shared Governance Agreement and the Student Bill of Rights.

“(The Shared Governance Agreement) recognizes the relationship between the OSU Administration, Faculty Senate and ASOSU to govern the campus together and to not really make decisions without the other lobby,” Grisham said.

Included in the latest updates on the Shared Governance Agreement is a provision that mandates the OSU administration have student voices involved in every policy-making decision that affects students.

The last time OSU updated the Student Bill of Rights, President Richard Nixon was talking to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the Moon. The new version of the Student Bill of Rights has been in progress ever since Grisham began her involvement in ASOSU.

Most of the rights listed in the updated Student Bill of Rights are already guaranteed and protected by law, but students had voiced concerns saying that their rights had been infringed. The document asks the OSU administration to formally endorse the rights in writing.

“Not a lot of other campuses across the country have Student Bills of Rights,” Grisham said. “Their administrations are not really willing to endorse them.”

Because of the newly signed Student Bill of Rights, students will now have 12 assured rights that the OSU administration, Faculty Senate and ASOSU are required to protect. Students rights to free speech, freedom of religion and to complete a discontinued program were among those included.

“I would venture to say that we have one of the most student-friendly administrations,” Grisham said. “It’s not the best. It’s not perfect, but we have made so many more strides on this campus than other campuses can even dream of doing.”