Sunny days headed into Memorial Day weekend

Andrew Trapalis, Multimedia Contributor

With the sun high in the sky across the Oregon State campus, the weather looks favorable for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend in Corvallis.

“I’m not used to it yet,” said Chris Wilson, a freshman studying civil engineering. “I mean, I’m sweating, it’s really hot and I gotta change my outfit all the time.”

Throughout the Memorial Union Quad, students across all majors are getting out and enjoying the sun in whatever ways possible. Whether that be swimming at the river, playing sand volleyball or just catching up on some much-needed sleep, kinesiology major KD Davis is optimistic of the upcoming weekend.

“I get to go back home to San Francisco,” Davis said. “Getting to spend time with family and friends is going to be great. I am excited to sleep and start barbecuing, and come back strong for the last term of my freshman year.”

According to Accuweather.com, students can expect blue skies and temperatures ranging in the mid to high 80s.

Memorial Day is an American holiday celebrated on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years after the Civil War and became an official holiday in 1971.

“This weekend is about remembrance and togetherness,” Davis said. “With everything going on around campus currently, between tuition increases and the tragic stabbing, it’s extra special to come home and be around the ones I care about.”

The long weekend, combined with the expected good weather, is an opportunity for students to relax and take a break from stressors.

“It is important to remember those who served our country,” said Alexa Durkin-Tang, a junior studying sociology. “Everyone knows someone involved in protecting our country, and regardless of opinion, we all should thank at least one person this weekend who helps our country be safe.”

Remembering those who served and those who died protecting our country is a lasting tradition in United States history. This coming weekend, with good weather in the forecast and another year at Oregon State coming to a close, students are happy and excited to go outside and enjoy the weather as well.

“Go enjoy the sunshine,” said Shaianne Kealoha, a junior studying biohealth sciences. “I get to leave town and go home to Eugene for some Memorial Day shopping sales with my family, so it is going to be a lot of fun.”