Utah holds off a Beaver sweep

Kaylee Oh (#13) stands next to Head Coach Laura Berg in OSU’s game against University of
Utah at Kelly Field on April 28, 2024.
Kaylee Oh (#13) stands next to Head Coach Laura Berg in OSU’s game against University of Utah at Kelly Field on April 28, 2024.
Taylor Cockrell

The Oregon State Beavers Softball senior day ended in a 5-0 loss to the Utah Utes to end their three-game series at Kelly Field, on Sunday afternoon.

“We just need to do a better job at executing. We had our opportunities, and we just didn’t produce, didn’t get it done” head coach Laura Berg said. 

After a scoreless first inning that involved five nearly caught fly balls hit to deep left field by the Utes, both teams managed to finally get on base in the second.

Today marked the third game in a row for Utes senior pitcher Mariah Lopez, while the Beavers saw junior pitcher Ellie Garcia.

Both teams’ offensive showing started with walks, one by Utes sophomore Abby Dayton and one by Beaver junior Lici Cambell.

The Beavers did get two on base but left them stranded in the second.

Utes senior Aliya Belarde delivered a smashing line to center field to get their first successful hit. She got as far as third but was also left stranded.

Junior Kiki Escobar tried to answer her line drive but put it too finely on a rope, as it was delivered straight to the left fielder without having to move.

With two outs left in the third, junior Eliana Gottlieb hit a ground single to advance senior Madison Simon and sophomore Madyson Clark to load the bases. This brought Campell up with a chance to score. She battled to a full count but popped up to the catcher to end the inning.

The Utes were able to get on base in the fourth thanks to a first base error but were unable to capitalize. The Beavers saw an early batting substitution in the inning, bringing in senior Jade Soto, who struck out swinging to end the inning. Another accompanying senior for the Beavers was senior Daja Westbrook who came later in the game.

“She wanted an at-bat and Jade has put her time in and has worked hard, she is a phenomenal teammate. I wanted her to get an at-bat in her last home game.” Berg said.

The Utes were the first to get on the board once the fifth started. Freshman Shonty Passi delivered a smashing home run well over the left-field fence.

Lopez almost let the lead become short-lived after walking two batters on base. However, she managed to strand those runners by ending the inning with a strikeout.

The Beaver did their best to keep a comeback within reach, despite making another error throw to first in the sixth inning they kept the score within one. They then managed to get the tying run on base but were not able to advance them.

The Utes in the seventh inning managed to extend their lead to 2-0 with another left-field home run from grad student Julia Jimenez. They would then load the bases, which is when the Beavers made a pitching change, bringing in junior pitcher Sarah Haendiges for Garcia.

The Utes lead extended to five after a grounder from Dayton drove one home, and then junior Kaylah Nelsen drove home two more.

With their final at-bat, the Beavers fell short of their comeback with a final pop-out from Clark, ending the game and leaving the series at 2-1 to the Beavers’s advantage.

Up next, the Beavers will head to its final series of the season before the Pac-12 tournament against the California Golden Bears on Friday, May 3rd, In Berkeley California, at 3 pm.