Oregon State shuts out Bruins

Oregon State baseball player Aiden May throws a pitch against UCLA at Goss Field
on Friday May 10.
Oregon State baseball player Aiden May throws a pitch against UCLA at Goss Field on Friday May 10.
Fern Barber

With 4,034 people in the crowd, Oregon State University baseball dominated in their win of 11-0 over the University of California Los Angeles Bruins Friday in Goss Stadium. 

“(I) loved the intent of our hitters, going up there ready to roll each pitch. Looked like every pitch they were engaged,” head coach Mitch Canham said.

Beaver pitcher Aiden May began the game by retiring the side. Forcing a ground out to first, striking out the next, then leaving a short ground ball barehanded by sophomore third baseman Jabin Trosky to deliver it to first to end the inning.

Junior Travis Bazzana immediately got on base with a walk, then captured a new Oregon State record with his 63rd career steal, getting him to second. He and Sophomore Dallas Macias were left stranded after a strikeout looking by senior Brady Kasper.

UCLA bases were nearly loaded when a pitch knocked off sophomore Payton Brennan’s helmet. However, his movement in the box made the pitch strike three to end his at-bat. May struck out the next two to strand the runners.

Junior Elijah Hainline started the Beavers’ second inning with a triple that looked like a home run the second it left the bat. He was advanced home by a sacrifice ground ball from sophomore Jacob Kreig for the first score of the game. Trosky followed with another deep hit that caused two outfielders to trip over themselves while making the catch.

UCLA was given no chance to answer back on the scoreboard with May striking out the side at the start of the third.

“Everything was working well. I thought I was commanding really early on,” May said.

With Bazzana and senior Michah McDowell on base, Macias hit his seventh homer of the season, making it 4-0 Oregon State.

Oregon State baseball player Dallas Macias high-fives his teammates after hitting a home run in a game against UCLA at Goss Field on Friday, May 10.

“The thing I like the most is we’ve really come together and are playing really tough baseball and are really going out there with the mentality to play hard and trusting in each other,” Macias said.

Brennen was caught once again by May with another strikeout to end the UCLA side of the fourth and Beaver Tanner Smith delivered a missile of a home run well over the left-field wall to make the score 5-0.

Bazzana continued his perfect day, this time with a ground single into center field, making him 3-3 for getting on base. He did not have to wait long there. McDowell immediately followed up with a home run to the stands in right field. The score was now 6-0 in the fourth.

The fifth was another uneventful one for the Bruins with junior Cody Schrier hitting a line drive that was caught by a jumping Hainline at shortstop. 

With pitching errors by the Bruins, the Beavers went into the 6th inning up eight. 

Despite some arguments against the umpire’s calls, May only continued to add to his strikeout count, reaching 9 in six innings.

The Bruins’ third pitcher of the night brought the most positive event of the game. Bazzana struck out on his fourth batting attempt in the 7th, this was his first unsuccessful batting attempt. Macias showed his speed when he bunted down the first base line, outrunning the throw, and sliding into first. The Beaver lead increased even more to 9-0 after another wild pitch allowed McDowell to steal home.

May’s night ended with Oregon State bringing in senior right-hand pitcher Ian Lawson in the seventh. He began with a strikeout to give the Beavers ten strikeouts on the night. He then allowed two on base but left them stranded with a popout and another strikeout. 

The night continued to worsen on the scoreboard with Krieg’s ninth home run of the season. The Beavers had ten runs going into the eighth inning.

The Beavers ended their night with 13 strikeouts between two pitchers. UCLA had to call to the dugout multiple times throughout the game, only totaling seven strikeouts with multiple pitchers.

The Beavers once again lengthened the lead to eleven with a hit from Kasper. Driving McDowell home at the end of the eighth.

There would be no more scoring after that. A tough game for the Bruins ended with a final strikeout from Lawson, solidifying the shutout.

This improved May’s season record to five wins and no losses.

The Beavers look to pull off a series win against the Bruins Saturday at 5 p.m. at Goss Stadium.