University prepares venue for 2024 commencement

The class of 2023 screams “Go Beavs!” together as is tradition in Reser Stadium during the 2023 OSU Commencement ceremony on June 17. The strength of their voices could be heard from well outside the stadium.
Matthew McKenna

With commencement around the corner, Oregon State University has many preparations they must make to prepare for the day to ensure it will be memorable and enjoyable for everyone involved and attending.

The ceremony will take place on June 15 at Reser Stadium. Guest seating opens at 9 a.m. and all guest seating is located on the field of Reser Stadium facing the stage, according to the commencement website.

For guests who can’t sit in the sun, there will be seating located inside the Toyota Club and the wings of the Loge. Screens inside the Toyota Club will show a live feed of the ceremony, according to the website.

OSU Disability Access Services have also prepared accommodations for those who need it getting around Reser. They have several wheelchairs ready to be loaned out to guests before entering the stadium. Wheelchairs are available on a first come, first serve basis.

For deaf and hard-of-hearing attendees, an American Sign Language interpreter will be shown on the video screens in Reser Stadium and subtitles will be shown on the Toyota Club screens.

For more information on disability access at the commencement ceremony please call (541) 737-4098 or email [email protected].

This event is free to attend and no tickets will be required for guests.

“Tickets are not required. There is no guest limit for the 2024 commencement ceremony. Graduates, invite your family members and friends,” the commencement website states.

While tickets are not required and there is no guest limit, it should be noted that the seating is first come, first serve.

“Commencement is a rain or shine event. Although open umbrellas are not permitted in Reser Stadium, sun visors or rain ponchos are suggested. Sunscreen is also recommended. Ponchos are available for purchase at the OSU Beaver Store located inside Reser Stadium on the main concourse,” the website states.

Kayleen Eng serves as the director of commencement and leads all plans, logistics and communication for the university wide commencement ceremony at OSU.

Eng explained the process of preparing the venue for the commencement as working in conjunction with OSU Athletics, which manages Reser Stadium and the invaluable staging vendors for special occasions. They work together to set up diploma distribution tents with the Office of Registrar. It also involves sound and media services, cleaning the stadium, setting up over 4,000 chairs and coordination with campus safety.

OSU prepares for the influx of family and friends on campus by working with university landscaping to decorate and make the campus beautiful for the guests.

“University facilities assist with putting up signage, setting up the stadium and assisting with blocking off the roads processional,” Eng said.

Parking is handled by OSU Transportation Services employees who collaborate on the logistics of the day. A map of available parking for commencement is available on the OSU commencement website.

Shuttle buses will be running to and from Reser Stadium from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Shuttle pick-up points are marked by signs and a map of the shuttle route is available on the commencement website.

Transportation Services also work proactively before commencement to ensure that the parking is ready for guests.

The Department of Public Safety also serves on the commencement planning committee and collaborates on all safety and security needs for commencement. DPS officers assist with patrolling each event venue and campus on the day of commencement.

The OSU commencement website states on safety, “Oregon State University and Reser Stadium strive to provide an enjoyable and safe experience for all who attend the commencement ceremony. BEST Security will provide security throughout the event and conduct security checks to ensure the safety of all guests. Reser Stadium has a clear bag policy. All graduates and guests attending the 2024 commencement ceremony must follow this policy.”

The OSU protest and protocol response team is involved with the plans and logistics for the ceremony, according to Eng.

“The safety of graduates and guests is the top priority,” Eng said.

OSU also prides itself and the Office of the Registrar on the assurance that all graduates, who have met the requirements, receive their physical diploma on the day of commencement.

“No task is too small and no detail goes unnoticed,” Eng said.

OSU has prepared an Oregon State alumnus to be the 2024 commencement speaker. This year’s speaker will be Steven Jackson, a former OSU football player, philanthropist and National Football League running back, according to the commencement website.

“Steven has been an inspiration to generations of Beavers for his leadership and accomplishments in athletics, philanthropy, media and the arts,” the commencement website states. “OSU is honored that Steven Jackson will give the 2024 commencement address, inspiring and motivating graduates as they begin their lives beyond OSU.”

The class of 2024 will join Oregon State University’s more than 224,000 alumni, going back to the first three students to graduate in 1870.

“We are immensely proud of every graduate and the faculty who contribute to the rich history of this great land grant university,” the commencement website states. “We look forward to celebrating with you, your family and friends.”

For this story, Commencement Director Kayleen Eng was the only university official the Barometer was allowed to interview. We are publishing this note in keeping with The Daily Barometer’s transparency policy.