New residence hall to open this fall

Maya Kirschenbaum
The updated grad hall is seen on June 10, 2024, on SW Madison Avenue near Mcnary Park. This dorm will be another option for grad students, which is supposed to be open by Fall term of 2024

Hall-ing away the old and in with the new: construction of the residence hall on the east side of campus is scheduled to be completed this fall.
The hall for upper division undergraduate and graduate student housing at 1045 SW Madison Ave is purposely built for those who are looking to live near campus and are past their first year at Oregon State University.

This new building will accommodate 221 students and two additional beds for support staff, according to Dave Craig, director of business development and assessment at University Housing & Dining Services.

The building construction is on schedule and will open its doors to students in Sep. 2024, according to John Doty, project manager at OSU Capital Planning and Development.

“We are excited to have another option in addition to the Gem and Orchard Court within our apartment living spaces on campus that students can live in past their first year at OSU,” said Brian Stroup, UHDS director of operations and facilities.

Each apartment-style unit is expected to have its own restroom, kitchen and air conditioning for independent living. Unit rates can be found on the UHDS website and are not expected to change, according to Doty and Craig.

There will be four UHDS staff members helping the students in the living spaces and supporting the community.

The project is expected to be one million dollars under budget for a total of $55 million, and is 90 percent complete, according to Doty.

Stroup said potential residents will have the opportunity to buy an “RA” parking permit to park in the lot next to the hall.

“For the last several years we have seen more interest from second-year and above and graduate students to live on campus than we have space on campus. This building is a step in the direction of providing more of what students are wanting in their housing experience past their first year at OSU,” Stroup said.