Excessive heat looms over Corvallis

Ashton Bisner
Photograph of the sun emerging through the trees on the Oregon State University campus on July 12. The summer weather is predicted to be hot and dry during expected fire season.

According to the National Weather Service, parts of Oregon, including Corvallis have been issued an excessive heat warning from noon on Thursday until 11 p.m. Sunday.

Corvallis is forecast to reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit on Thursday and up to 102 degrees from Saturday through Monday.

According to Ben Janes, Corvallis Fire Department fire chief, the Corvallis Fire Department is staffing up significantly for the Fourth of July, with an additional chief officer, a dedicated water tender, as well as additional brush trucks and engines.

When the temperature hits a certain point, Benton County goes into an all-county response. This means any time there is a fire on the ground in Benton County, units from other cities in the county will send a unit to help.

“There can be a fire on the ground in the city of Monroe, and Corvallis will automatically send a unit to help them out, and vice versa”, said Janes.

As many Corvallis residents do not have air conditioning, the city of Corvallis has cooling centers, indoor sites free to the public to take shelter from extreme heat. Corvallis centers include the Corvallis Public Library, the Corvallis Community Center and the Osborn Aquatic Center. However, many centers may be closed for July Fourth.

The Oregon Public Health Division recommends that people stay in air-conditioned places if possible, limit sun exposure and use cool compresses. They recommend preparing for power outages and having a plan to stay cool if the power goes out.

According to Janes, individuals most impacted by excessive heat include the sick, elderly and young. To avoid heat-related deaths, the Benton County sheriff’s office reminds individuals to never leave a child or pet alone in a car.

The Benton County sheriff’s office needs to keep lines open to dispatch for medical calls due to heat-related emergencies and asks for residents not to call for noise complaints on the Fourth. However, residents are asked to call for suspected intoxicated drivers on the road and on the Willamette River.

Many Corvallis residents may turn to swimming pools or floating the river to remedy the heat. To stay safe, Janes emphasizes situational awareness, regardless of the body of water.

“It’s always good when you’re on the river to make sure you’ve got proper flotation devices, you’re following all safety procedures,” said Janes. “Being cognizant if you’re consuming alcohol, how much, as that can always complicate matters.”

Corvallis residents should have good heat recovery during the night, when temperatures are expected to drop to mid 60s.

“We really just want people to think about their actions and be cognizant that a lot more people are going to be out, it’s going to be warm,” said Janes. “Stay hydrated, stay safe, stay in the shade and be very careful of fireworks.”