Student on the street: Students discuss Halloween costumes

With leaves falling, temperatures dropping and Halloween quickly approaching, many students are trying to find the perfect costume. Finding a new look every October can be both expensive and wasteful, so students often turn to thrifting or reusing everyday clothes.

There are infinite places to find costume inspiration, especially if you have multiple looks to plan out for the whole weekend.

Many students opt for group costumes, shared between friends, but some are going solo. With a range from TV show characters to classic costumes, Oregon State University will be a sight to see this Halloween.

The most common outlook was to buy or thrift clothing that can be reused for other costumes or as an everyday outfit piece.

Evan Dukes

Third year, Evan Dukes (they/them) talks about a few Halloween costumes she’s planning on doing outside the Memorial Union in an interview on Oct. 8. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“I’m mostly trying to find stuff in my closet and then also thrifting, just trying to find stuff that I’ll wear again,” said Evan Dukes, a third-year English major. Their costumes include Velma (as part of a group, of course), a devil and Mr. Boss from the TV show “Smiling Friends”.

Arianna Gold

Sophomore biology major, Arianna Gold (she/her) talks in a short interview about the different costumes she’s doing for Halloween on Oct. 8, outside the Memorial Union

“I’ll be the purple minion, cause I’m like the crazy roommate,” shared Arianna Gold, a second-year biology major doing a group costume with her roommates, who will be the standard yellow ones. Arianna also has a fairy costume and one of the White Rabbit from “Alice in Wonderland”.

Ben Cantavero

Third year, Ben Cantavero (he/him) talks in quick interview about Halloween costumes and what he’s done in previous year on Oct. 8, in the Memorial Union quad.

“Sometimes I go as Santa Clause,” shared Ben Cantavero, a third-year mechanical engineering major. Although not necessarily planning to dress up this year, he said that he still has a few Santa hats, in case the kids of Corvallis need a little holiday confusion.

Duncan Brown

Duncan Brown (he/him), a sophomore studying Bioengineering sits outside the Memorial Union and talks about his plans for Halloween costumes on Oct 8, 2024. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“I could go as a mad scientist,” said Duncan Brown, a second-year bioengineering major. He’s not planning to dress up this year but does have the white lab coat ready to go if needed.

Jessie Horaning

First year, Jessie Horaning (she/her) stops to talk in an interview on what costumes she’s planning for Halloween near the Memorial Union on campus on Oct. 8. (Maya Kirschenbaum)

“It’ll probably be a mix of both buying and thrifting,” said Jessie Horaning, a first-year fisheries and wildlife science major. Her costumes for this year include a mermaid, a pirate and Jessie from Toy Story