Oregon State Women’s Basketball drops matchup against in state rival

Jason May

Guard Talia Von Oelhoffen uses the screen set by forward Kennedy Brown to get open. Oelhoffen ended he game with a double-double between points and rebounds.

Ben Pahl, Print Contributor

The Oregon State Women’s basketball team suffered a 74-66 loss to the 24th ranked Oregon Ducks in an intense battle at Gill Coliseum on Friday night.  

After going down 14-5 in the first quarter, the Beavers were able to respond and keep it close at halftime.  

Oregon used an impressive stretch to take an 11 point lead with 5:14 to play in the third quarter.  The beavers rebounded by utilizing a 15-3 run and took a 52-51 lead heading into the final quarter.  “It was a good battle,” said Oregon State head coach Scott Rueck.  “I was really proud of the team for battling back the way they did in the third quarter.”  

From that point on, however, the Oregon Ducks clamped down with a bug run to start the fourth, ultimately carrying them to a victory over the Beavers in Corvallis.  “Give credit to Oregon for finishing us off in the fourth quarter,” Rueck said.  

In an offensive onslaught for the Oregon Ducks, sophomore Te-Hina Paopao led the team with a game-high 22 points and six rebounds, causing a headache for the home team all night.  Off the bench, star forward Nyara Sabally put up 16 points and a remarkable 12 rebounds for the Ducks.  Sydney Parish finished with 11 to round out Oregon’s double-digit scorers.  

After not taking a single shot in the first half, beaver sophomore guard Talia Von Oelhoffen finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds.  Off the bench for OSU, senior Ellie Mack led the team with 19 points, and Taya Corosdale finished with 15 and 12 rebounds of her own.  

With the result, the beavers fall to 11-9 on the season and 4-6 in PAC 12 play.  There’s little time to dwell on the defeat, however, as the Beavers travel to Eugene to face the Ducks again on Sunday.  

“Learn from this one, move onto the next,” said Rueck.  “It’s not that complicated.”