Beavers disappointed after close loss to ASU Sun Devils

Oregon+State+wrestler+Cleveland+Belton+locks+up+with+his+Sun+Devil+opponent+Jesse+Vasques.+Belton+fought+hard+but+ultimately+lost+his+match+by+a+score+of+2-5.+

Fern Barber

Oregon State wrestler Cleveland Belton locks up with his Sun Devil opponent Jesse Vasques. Belton fought hard but ultimately lost his match by a score of 2-5.

The Oregon State wrestling team’s winning streak came to an end on Sunday night in Gill Coliseum.

With everything put out on the mat, the Beavers could not obtain a win, losing 16-23 against the Arizona State Sun Devils. 

The night started with the 125 weight class with redshirt sophomore Brandon Kaylor from Bonney Lake, Washington, facing off against senior redshirt Brandon Courtney from Goodyear, Arizona. 

Kaylor mainly focused on defensive tactics keeping his head down and his stance tight. After a slow start, things started to electrify, with Kaylor picking up his opponent and slamming him down on the mat with a booming thud. Even with momentum gaining, Kaylor was unable to get the win, losing 5-10.

Jason Shaner, the redshirt senior from Hood River, Oregon, was up next for the 133 weight class battling for the victory against redshirt senior Michael McGee from Bolingbrook, Illinois. Shaner struggled to find his footing, quickly giving the lead to McGee with the score being 8-1 after the first period. McGee continued to ravish Shaner with a total loss of 2-17.

“I focused too much on the opponent and was overthinking about the game,” Shaner explained, looking back on the match. “I need to get back to doing what I do best and return to being me.”

Hoping to turn the tides, the redshirt junior from Corona, California, Cleveland Belton, stepped onto the mat to face off against Jesse Vasquez, the sophomore from Corona, California, for the 141 weight class. 

Belton flew around the mat, twisting and diving to escape the forward advances from Vasquez. Even with the quick moves from Belton, Vasquez proved too much, resulting in a 2-5 loss.

With three losses under the Beavers belt, Riley Gurr, the redshirt junior from Frenchtown, Montana, stepped up for the 149 weight class against Kyle Parco, the redshirt sophomore from Danville, California. 

Gurr found himself in some formidable positions wincing and yelling as he powered his way out. Things were looking up for Gurr in the third round, and the crowd was sitting on the edge of their seats. 

Even with his opponent running away during the match, Gurr was unable to get the win, losing 5-7.

With hopes of a win slowly fading, Isaiah Crosby, the senior from Miami, Florida, proved that it is never over till it’s over when facing Max Wilner, the redshirt freshman from Costa Mesa, California. In the 157 weight class, Crosby exploded on the mat with advance after advance. 

“At the end of the day, I just wanted to get the win and support my team,” said Crosby after winning his match by a score of 10-6.

Matthew Olguin, the redshirt sophomore from Fresno, California, continued to change momentum while facing Tony Negron, the redshirt junior from Brentwood, New Jersey, in the 165 weight class. 

Showing no mercy, Olguin scored 12 points within the first period, only letting Negron score a single point. Olguin continued to look solid the whole match, pulling out an 18-3 win.

Next for the 174 weight class was Aaron Olmos, the redshirt senior from Imperial Beach, California. Olmos faced Cael Valencia, the redshirt freshman from Pico Rivera, California. Valencia was given a caution, the OSU crowd roaring for a more harsh penalty.

Even with the crowd sounding like rolling thunder in Gill Stadium, Olmos could not clinch the win, losing 4-6. 

Trey Munoz, the redshirt sophomore from Mission Viejo, California, used the ferocity and passion from the crowd to invigorate himself, playing a solid match within the 184 weight class and winning 14-4 against Anthony Montalvo, the redshirt junior from Clovis, California.

Tanner Harvey, the graduate from Elkton, Oregon, took his place on the mat, ready to face up against Jonathon Fagen, the redshirt junior from Fruitland, Idaho, for the 197 weight class. Harvey was quick to pin and continued to throw and drag Fagen around as if he were a ragdoll. Harvey was able to win, scoring 14-4 and leaving the beavers in a 16-17 position.

“I just wanted to have fun and get the win to support my team,” Harvey said, also pointing out the incredible support of the OSU community. “I appreciate everyone who comes to support the team. It means a lot to us.”

J.J. Dixon, the redshirt sophomore from Tacoma, Washington, had all the weight on his shoulders for the heavyweight match. A win against Cohlton Schultz would propel the Beavers to victory. Although Dixon put in a valiant effort, muscles straining for the slightest edge, Schultz succeeded with a 1-5 loss for Dixon.

The Beavers will have another chance to get an at-home win on Saturday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m. when they face Wyoming in Gill Stadium.