Beavers draw with Ducks on the road to wrap up season

Julie Barber

Oregon State University (OSU) women’s soccer player, Megin Turi, and University of Southern California (USC) women’s soccer player, Jaelyn Eisenhart, intensely sprint towards the ball on Sept. 29, 2022. OSU’s women’s soccer faced off USC’s team on Sept. 29 with a final score of OSU 1, USC 5.

Ben Pahl, Sports Contributor

The Oregon State women’s soccer team played to a 2-2 draw with rival Oregon on Friday night in a rain-soaked affair at Pape field in Eugene.  

In what was the final game of the 2022 season for both sides, neither team gave an inch in a back-and-forth contest. 

After a competitive start to the game, fifth-year senior Zoe Hasenaeur opened the scoring for Oregon when she found the back of the net in the 27th minute.  It was Hasenaeur’s first goal of the season.  

The visiting Beavers struck back 12 minutes later when sophomore midfielder Sawyer Service beat Oregon goalkeeper Leah Freeman off a corner kick that was assisted by senior Reese Moffatt, and the teams went into the locker room tied at one.  

After multiple opportunities were met with saves in the first part of the second half, the Beavers finally found an opening. 

In the 73rd minute Oregon State used a build up of well-executed passes in the attacking half to get the ball to sophomore McKenna Martinez, who found the back of the net to give the visitors a 2-1 advantage.  

But the Oregon Ducks weren’t going to go away quietly on senior night, as sophomore midfielder Alice Barbieri scored an equalizing goal in the 83rd minute. 

The match ended in a 2-2 draw.  

The rivalry game proved to be evenly-matched the entire way through, as neither team had much of an edge in possession.  Oregon State outshot Oregon 14 to 12, with eight of those shots being on goal.  

Offensively for the Beavers, McKenna Martinez put five shots on goal, finding the back of the net on one of them for her tenth goal of the season. 

Sawyer Service scored just one minute after entering the match, and had a total of two shots on goal.  Between the posts, junior goalkeeper Hailey Coll played the entire 90 minutes of the match and recorded four saves.  

With the result, the Beavers finish out the 2022 season with an overall record of 5-10-4.