Beavers women’s soccer fall to Stanford on senior day

Sabrina Dedek

Senior midfielder Abby Schwartz attempts a shot against the California Golden Bears this past Thursday night at Paul Lorenz Field. Schwartz has a total of two shots on goal this season for the Beavers.

Ben Pahl, Sports Contributor

The Oregon State Women’s soccer team suffered a 3-0 loss to the seventh-ranked Stanford Cardinal Sunday afternoon at Paul Lorenz field in the final home game of the season.  

While the Beavers were able to hold top-ten Stanford scoreless through the first 45 minutes, the Cardinal wasted no time coming out of the locker room. Freshman midfielder Jasmine Aikey scored goals two minutes apart in the 47th and 49th minutes, respectively, before adding a third goal in the 61st minute to complete a hat-trick.  

Despite the score at halftime, Stanford was able to impose its will throughout the entirety of the match. Oregon State was dominated in possession, and their offense wasn’t able to get a shot on goal. In total, the Cardinal outshot the Beavers 29-3, and also had six corner kicks to Oregon State’s one.  

Offensively for the Beavers, sophomore McKenna Martinez had two shot attempts, while junior midfielder Valerie Tobias had one. Probably the biggest standout for Oregon State on Sunday was junior goalkeeper Hailey Coll, who recorded an impressive 11 saves in 70 minutes of action.  

With the loss, Oregon State drops to 4-9-3 overall on the season and 0-7-1 in conference play. Next up, the Beavers will look to rebound when they take on the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson on Thursday, October 27th. Following that match, the Beavers will close out their season at Arizona State on Sunday, October 30th in Tempe.