Strategies to get last-minute internships

El Guo

Mahi Pandey, Career Assistant at the Career Development Center, works at the front desk at the Kerr Administration Building on May 19. Kerr Administration is located on the south east side of campus at 500 SW Jefferson Way and is where students can find the Career Development Center.

Vincent Ho, News Contributor

For Beavers who haven’t found an internship yet, here are some of the strategies to employ to find career opportunities over the summer.

Jen Rouse, director of marketing & communication at the Oregon State University Career Development Center, has some strategies to help students find internships before the term ends.

Rouse recommends that students use Handshake, a job and internship search tool specifically for college students and recent graduate students. 

While employers on other job posting sites may be looking for people with years of experience, employers on Handshake are looking for college students. Rouse suggests favoriting jobs they like so that Handshake will recommend more jobs like it the next time a student logs in.

Tailoring your resume towards the position that you want is a recommendation to assist in getting you through the automatic screening process.

“Many companies are now using automated screening tools to filter applications. If your resume and cover letter don’t contain the key words they are looking for, your materials might not ever get in front of human eyes,” Rouse said.

A tip she provides for students is to list the classes they have taken and their non-paid work experience so the automatic screening picks up on more keywords. 

Many jobs don’t come from spotting a post online, but instead from a personal connection. Rouse says to ask professors, friends, or parents to introduce you to someone who is hiring.

OSU has free career services for students who are looking for internship opportunities given by the Career Development Center. They have drop in or scheduled appointments which will allow students to work with an advisor who can help them look for jobs and review their resumes. They also have many free tools for students including, but not limited to, Vmock, which is a free resume checker and StandOut, an online interview prep tool.

Reaching out to companies directly is an option for students who want to work specifically for a certain company, even if they don’t have an internship posted. For students who are unsure about what companies to reach out to, Rouse suggested using Buzzfile’s Employer by Major tool and searching for employers related to your major.

For students who are looking for career opportunities next year, be on the lookout for career fairs. The CDC has a few tips for anyone looking to get a head start connecting with employers before and during these events.

They recommend preparing your resume ahead of time and printing 10 copies to share with employers. They also recommend sending an email or calling the employer you talked to thank them and reiterate what you discussed at the fair.

“From my experience, employers don’t spend much on marketing their internships compared to full-time jobs. I would suggest students reach out directly this late in the game. I would also refer them to the Career Development Center for individual advice on internships.” said Eric Schueffner, assistant director of career education at the OSU Career Development Center.