Getting around town: using public transportation on and off campus

Beaver Buses at the James E. Oldfield Animal Teaching Facility at OSU in Corvallis on Aug. 21
Jason May

Getting from place to place, be that to classes, events, or the grocery store, might seem simple until students take a closer look at the size of Oregon State University’s 420 acre Corvallis campus. 

Without a car (and even with, thanks to the few-and-far-between parking options), trudging to class or getting food on foot just isn’t an option sometimes. Thankfully, there are public transportation options available for students who have places to be and things to do, and the Corvallis Transit Service, OSU’s on-campus Beaver Bus and the Philomath Connection are free of charge.

According to Sara Hamilton, Outreach Coordinator for OSU’s Transportation Services, over 21,300 riders made use of the OSU Beaver Bus service just in April of this year.

“That marked its highest monthly ridership since service began in 2001,” Hamilton said. “We are thankful for support and encouragement from across the Corvallis campus as we have worked to provide optimal routes with a limited number of bus drivers.”  

Hamilton said there are no plans to reduce the current Beaver Bus routes or service levels in the fall. In fact, a new third route will be available as of fall term running between OSU and Linn Benton Community College’s Corvallis campus from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday. 

“An updated map and further route details will be available on the Beaver Bus web pages soon,” Hamilton said. “The updated map will also show bus stops near Reser Stadium when they reopen in the fall, and an additional stop that will be added to the Central Route between the President’s (Residence) and Reser.” 

The preexisting Beaver Bus routes, Northeast and Central, run from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday – Friday on a continuous fixed loop, Hamilton explained. The Beaver Bus Tracker provides location and timing in real-time so students can plan their day. 

Hamilton also suggested checking the tracker for service modifications that may occur during road closures.    

“If you look through the Beaver Bus web pages, you will find information about mobility device accessibility, service animals, bicycles and lost and found,” Hamilton said. “Many students also opt to get around campus by walking, bike, scooter and skateboard. ASOSU SafeRide is a resource for students needing a nighttime transportation option.”

Tim Bates, Transit Coordinator for the City of Corvallis, said the Corvallis Transit Service is running at full service. The area has wider-spread services available for off-campus travel, such as CTS, the Philomath Connection, Linn-Benton Loop and Coast-to-Valley service.

“During OSU’s summer break, CTS’s Route 1 Peak service does not operate,” Bates added. “Route 1 Peak service resumes Sept. 25.”

CTS routes such as Route 7 can take riders from Monroe Street and Kings Street to the Timberhill Shopping Center and Winco, while other routes such as Route 2 will take riders to the hospital, Route 6 can take riders to southtown, and Route 3 will take riders to the Philomath Blvd Sunset Shopping Center and Technology Loop, where they can find services like the unemployment office, Safeway, Urgent Care and more.

CTS route information can be found here, and further information about connecting services can be found here as well as through OSU Transportation.