Construction of new dorm building nears completion, expected to fill up fast

View from SW Madison Ave of the newest residence hall under construction on Feb 8th.
Aisling Gazzo

The new dorm building for upper-division undergraduates and graduates is expected to be ready for occupancy in late July, according to John Doty, project manager at Capital Planning and Development.

The building features 25 single-occupancy studio units and 99 two-bedroom units that will each have their own kitchen and bathroom, according to Doty. Construction started early last spring with no delays and the project is expected to finish within the planned budget.

The building stands at 1045 SW Madison Ave. at the estimated rates of $1,550 for a studio-type apartment and $1,200 for a two bedroom/one bathroom apartment. Students can apply to join the waitlist for fall term on the housing portal.

According to Brian Stroup, director of Operations and Facilities at University Housing and Dining Services, finalized rates for on-campus housing are available each spring for the next fall, including the rate for the new building, which offers a 12-month contract.

Drywall installation has begun on the fifth floor and will continue down to the lower floors, according to Doty. Masonry work is expected to begin soon on the first floor, followed by exterior siding. The interior and exterior finishes, sitework and landscaping will follow in sequence with the overall schedule.

Mechanical ductwork, plumbing and electrical rough-in is complete on the fourth and fifth floors, which is soon expected to continue down to lower floors. The wood structure framing, roof, exterior windows and water-proofing weather barriers have been completed.

Bryan Grabelle, a junior majoring in geology, said that a new building for upper-division undergraduates and graduates could alleviate the need for more housing among freshmen. Similarly, Krista Suarez, a third year accounting major, said that a new dormitory could reduce the “competitive” nature of finding housing.

“It’s good to have more of those options, so that second-year and above (students) don’t have to cram into the other dorms,” Suarez said. “The freshmen are already having trouble getting space because I know, at least my year, they were turning doubles into triples and stuff.”

Mady Saetern, a third year student majoring in biohealth sciences, said that finding the right place to live near campus can be challenging, especially if a student struggles with transportation.

“Finding something local is challenging. For me, I commute from Salem, so I kind of gave up on living near campus,” Saetern said.

However, Stroup expects that the building will help but not fulfill the demand for upper-division undergraduates and graduates by any close measure due to very high demand for this type of housing.

“Anytime we have a new building open it is of great interest to students,” Stroup said. “We anticipate it filling fairly quickly.”

Like other buildings that UHDS offers, internet, on-site laundry and all the other utilities and amenities are provided, Stroup said.

“Living in this building is similar to living in our other on-campus apartment locations (The Gem and Orchard Court) where it is more independent living than living in a residence hall,” Stroup said in an email.