Working out at Dixon Recreation comes with public health regulations, social distancing

Dixon Recreation opened its doors in early June with COVID-19-specific regulations in place to keep students and faculty safe.

Zoƫ Sandvigen, News Contributor

Correction: Brian Hustoles’ name was spelt incorrectly on two instances. These corrections have been made.

Brian Hustoles, Marketing and Communications Manager, works with Recreation Sports in navigating these new adjustments.

Hustoles confirmed Dixon was only able to open its doors back up to students if the modifications implemented aligned with the Oregon State Authority andĀ  Benton County Health Departmentā€™s guidance. Students and faculty are now required to wear masks with the exception of the pool and showers, remain six feet apart and thoroughly wipe down equipment before and after usage.Ā 

Oregon State University posted an update on their website where members can look at a more in-depth explanation of regulations and new etiquette. On this page is information on the specifics of what is open and accessible and what remains closed until further notice.Ā 

Group fitness classes will continue to be held online for the time being with hopeful thinking directed towards the future.Ā 

ā€œRecreational Sports has planned a limited schedule of on-site group fitness classes for implementation later in the summer should conditions allow and in alignment with the universityā€™s resumption phases,ā€ Hustoles said via email. ā€œThese classes will incorporate physical distancing and single-use equipment.ā€

McAlexander Fieldhouse traditionally remains open from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. during the summer for bouldering, but given that Dixonā€™s indoor climbing center is still closed, McAlexander will most likely be closed until the fall, Hustoles said.Ā 

ā€œRecreational Sports continues to provide members with free remote programs over the summer. This includes 27 Group Fitness classes a week, virtual intramural sports that include e-sports, app games and movement-based competitions and a variety of Adventure Leadership Institute programs,ā€ Hustoles said via email.

A full list of remote programs and activities can be found here.

Winston Kennedy, a fourth-year PhD student majoring in Kinesiology, has been frequently utilizing the intramural fields.Ā  Despite social distancing over the last few months, Kennedy has found a variety of ways to stay in shape with gym closures.Ā 

ā€œI started running with some friends from my kinesiology major. We are all former collegiate and semi-professional athletes so it was nice to be able to run around with people with a similar mindset when it comes to exercising,ā€ Kennedy said via email. ā€œMy home workout tips are finding something you enjoy, start slow and easy, and try to make it a habit.ā€

Kennedy recommends anything from dancing, to fitness videos, running and finding a good group to stay motivated with. Looking forward, Kennedy wishes that Dixon would potentially add an Olympic lifting space.

ā€œIf they could open up a second facility, or even add an additional weight room to the field house, that would be epic,ā€ Kennedy said via email.Ā 

Emmanuel Ughelu, a masterā€™s student also studying kinesiology, said Dixon has maintained public health safety measures since reopening.Ā 

ā€œGenerally, I think Dixon is doing a good job with consistent cleaning and provision of masks to users. More so, some machines have been spaced out to enable social distancing. Perhaps, more spacing and hand sanitizing booths/jars could be beneficial,ā€ Ughelu said via email.

Ughelu also found alternative ways to stay fit during social isolation, including body-weight-only workouts, resistance training, dumbbells and bands.