OSU Libraries Open House to showcase diverse offerings

Photo by Steffi Kutcher, Orange Media Network
A series of yearbooks ranging from 1962 to 1974 on display at the Valley Library. The OSU yearbook, which was the first yearbook published in Oregon, started in 1894 with The Hayseed, and was continually published from 1907 until 2014. 

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to correct the name of the Undergraduate Research & Writing Studio.

The Valley Library at Oregon State University will host its annual Press Open House on May 3 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., inviting attendees to explore the library’s diverse offerings and resources.

Angela Haney, administrative services director and executive assistant to the dean of libraries, mentioned that they plan on having a few things out on display which contain a link or a QR code where people can go and look at the larger list.

Megan Lawrence, executive assistant to the dean of libraries, said, “We have it listed on our website and there’s a whole page that you can literally click on whatever topic you’re looking for like hot spots or lockers or adaptive technology, outdoor kits, those type (of) things.”

Haney talked about the participation of partners within the library, noting partners such as the Media Hub, the Undergraduate Research & Writing Studio, Tutoring Services, Family Study Rooms, Ecampus and the Graduate Writing Center.

Haney outlined that during the tour, attendees will visit various stops including the Media Hub, a station for repairing books, Undergraduate Research & Writing Studio, the Mole Hole for tutoring and the Special Collections and Archives Research Center, where they can explore archival materials and historical information.

The Oregon State University Libraries SCARC, located on the fifth floor of The Valley Library, is home to the university’s unique collections of manuscripts, archives, photographs and books.

Additional displays include information technology department demonstrations on ScholarsArchive and Oregon Digital resources, as well as updates planned for the learning commons on the second floor.

Attendees are encouraged to make the most of the library tour, taking advantage of passport stamps and asking staff for assistance or information.

Lawrence said that the event caters to families, providing engaging activities for children like passport stamps, stickers, coloring pages, buttons, puzzles and a selfie-spot featuring cow sculptures.

Haney added that attendees can enjoy refreshments like brownies, bar cookies, fruits and strawberry lemonade. She also noted that there will be prizes available, such as gift cards, travel mugs and books authored by prominent artists or authors.

Haney and Lawrence encourage all to attend the open house and explore the resources and spaces available within the library.

“We want to raise awareness about all of the resources we offer and make everyone comfortable to explore spaces that they may not always have time to check out,” Haney said.

Lawrence said there’s a lot of areas to see due to the library having six floors, so library staff will be available for any questions or needs one may have.

“We just really want people to come to our physical space and look around and ask questions and be curious, explore,” Lawrence said.