Pro-Palestine OSU students protest following meeting with administrators

Hayden Lohr
Protesters at the Student Experience Center on May 2, 2024.

After a meeting today between leaders of a pro-Palestine group on campus and the Dean of Students, protestors walked in support of increased action in support of Palestine and Palestinian students.

Protestors walked from the Student Experience Center to the Memorial Union on the Oregon State University Campus.

The meeting came on the heels of a sit-in Wednesday calling for OSU to divest itself of financial ties to Israel.

“It was our first meeting with any of the OSU admin,” said Sophie Musa, a coordinator of the pro-Palestine protests at OSU. “Today the conversation didn’t get much further than just OSU expressing thoughts and feelings while refusing to commit to any concrete actions.”

At press time, the Dean of Students was unavailable to be reached for comment about the nature of the meeting.

Protesters in front of the Memorial Union on May 2, 2024.

According to Musa, part of the goals of this group are to encourage OSU to be better at protecting Palestinian students and to be better at protest response.

President of Students United for Palestine Equal Rights, Heba, who asked not to share her last name, said students are able to take part in supporting Palestine through methods other than protests, such as signing petitions, boycotting businesses, celebrating Palestinian traditions and culture, and sharing information across social media platforms.

“There’s always ways you can be an activist on your own and outside of a club scenario,” Heba said when asked about students who are wary of public protests. “Any form of activism is activism.”

Further information will be reported as it is available.