DCE to celebrate graduates

Graduation regalia provided for students who are a part of the Centro Cultural Cesar Chavez, hung up on Oregon State University’s campus on May 20th.
Fern Barber

Diversity and Culture Engagement at Oregon State University holds a total of seven cultural resource centers.

Every year when graduation season comes around, each cultural center celebrates in a unique and meaningful way for their students.

Gabi Prescott is a current OSU senior majoring in sociology with an option in crime and justice. She is one of the leadership liaisons at Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center and was asked what they will be doing this year to celebrate graduates.

“Every year the BCC holds a ceremony for the graduates in our community so we are currently in the process of getting ‘The Outstanding Black Grad” together. It will be held June 13 at the Alumni Center 5 to 8 p.m. This event is to acknowledge and celebrate our Black graduates and what they’ve accomplished,”  Prescott said.

Phillip Sinapati is the OSU center director for the Asian and Pacific Cultural Center.

He mentioned that all the cultural resource centers will do some sort of graduation or acknowledgement this year to honor their graduates.

“For the APCC Graduation Toast Celebration, our event will have cultural performances and will incorporate a toast to celebrate and acknowledge the achievements of graduating students,” Sinapati said. “We will serve hearty refreshments and have a photo booth for attendees to make memories and use as takeaways from our event.”

Sinapati said each graduate will be called on stage to receive their gifts and will have their time at OSU acknowledged.

“This part is usually very special for our graduates because saying their name out loud means something to them and honors their hard work because they do not get to hear their names being called during the at large OSU commencement ceremony. We have a lot of first generation graduates so being honored this way is sentimental, monumental and a milestone for them,” Sinapati said.

Event speaker Eric Kong is a graduate student getting a master’s in kinesiology. Kong graduated last year with his bachelor’s, is a former center staff member and was “heavily involved” in the community as an undergraduate.

Graduation regalia provided for students who are a part of the Centro Cultural Cesar Chavez hung up on Oregon State University’s campus on May 20th. (Fern Barber)

“Aside from our graduates being recognized, we will also acknowledge our student organizations, introduce our new center staff for the upcoming school year and announce this year’s recipient for the Janet Nishihara Leadership for Community Building,” Sinapati said.

Freddy Leon, center director of the Centro Cultural César Chavez, said the center is organizing the ‘Sí Se Pudo’ graduation ceremony for graduating students to celebrate Latine students and those who affiliate with the center on June 15.

“Sí Se Pudo is significant because it is an intimate ceremony where students get recognized for their achievements and also they get to have their families and friends be a part of the celebration. There are student speakers, performances, music, some laughter and tears of joy, of course,” Leon said.