Students reflect on OSU’s last year in the PAC-12

Sam Nicklous
Oregon State quarterback DJ Uiagalelei jukes out a defender on his way to a touchdown in the first quarter of the game against UC Davis in Reser Stadium on August 9 2023. Uiagalelei played only the first half, completing 8 of 13 passes for 107 yards and two touchdowns while adding another on the ground in a 55-7 Beavers win.

With the PAC-12 dispersing at the end of this year, students at Oregon State University looked back on their favorite Beaver sports moments over their time attending OSU.

Karena Meinhardt
Second year – human development and family sciences

“I got to fill the Gill against UCLA this year. That was really cool, my heart was beating so much during the buzzer beater, I couldn’t even watch the game. My partner had to be like ‘OH MY GOD WE DID IT!’.”

“Also, against Arizona, watching the men’s team. It was my partner’s first basketball game, and it was another buzzer-beater. I was like ‘They’re not all like this,’ but we kept on going to basketball games and they were really good.”

Senior Kathryn Matsuoka stops to talk about her favorite OSU sports memory in the PAC-12 outside the MU on May 22, 2024

Caleb Boyles

Second-year – mechanical engineering

“When the baseball team won the National Championship in 2018. I watched it at home when I was in high school, it was really cool.”

Caleb Boyles speaks about his favoirte sports memory outside the MU on May 22, 2024

Hiilei Carvalho-Mattos
Second-year

“In 2022, the rivalry game, I was a freshman and I thought we were going to lose, and I said ‘Dang, did I choose the wrong Oregon school,’ and then we came back, and they blew a 21-point lead and that was really fun.”

Hillei Carvalho-Mattos speaks about her favorite memories in Beavers sports game on May 22, 2024 outside Waldo Hall

Shahar Miles
Third-year – marketing

“My favorite moment in the PAC-12 was Jordan Pope’s shot at the buzzer. I attended that game, and I relished that moment. Being surrounded by other students while we rushed the court was awesome.”

On May 22, 2024, third-year Shahar Miles stops to talk about her best sports moments from this year outside the MU on-campus