Hatfield Marine Science Center moves forward with new housing development

A contributed An architectural rendering of the 77-unit Hatfield Marine Science Center housing project.
Contributed by Sheena Scarberry

A 77-unit housing project at Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport is underway, with construction expected to be completed in fall or winter 2025. 

According to an Oregon State University news report, the $16.5 million, 34,000 square foot housing project will contain 72 studio-style units and five two-bedroom units for both shorter and longer stays. 

The housing development is being built to support the shortage of workforce housing and marine research and education opportunities, according to the OSU news report. This includes students, staff, visiting scientists and others working or visiting the center. 

The current Hatfield housing can only accommodate up to 100 residents, with limited housing availability during the spring and summer.

Local leaders join representatives of the architect and builders as well as Hatfield Marine Science Center Director Bob Cowen to officially break ground on a new housing project to support learning and research on the coast. Photo by Michelle Klampe, Oregon State University.

According to the news report, the current housing includes 16 one-bedroom style apartments, four bunkhouse-style housing units and two mobile homes. 

“The current housing we have was built in the 1970s, is quite dated and is within the tsunami zone. The new units are outside the tsunami zone and will offer improved conditions,” said Adriene Koett-Cronn, communications specialist at the Hatfield Marine Science Center.

“I am excited by the capacity that the new housing will provide us and the safety it will offer,”  Robert Cowen, director of Hatfield Marine Science Center, said in an email. 

The new housing will be at higher elevation, allowing it to avoid the coastal tsunami zone, according to Cowen. 

According to Paige Foust, a fourth-year biology major, living at Hatfield has opened the door to new connections with people from all over the country. 

“The new building will allow for more internships, jobs, school, and housing flexibility for people who need to stay for a while,” Foust said in a message. “The only downside is that it is not as close to campus from where we are currently living.” 

According to Emily Dye, a fourth-year student at OSU majoring in environmental science, living at Hatfield was like being at a marine summer camp. 

“Everyone has similar interests as you which makes it feel more like a community. There are always activities going on like volleyball or game nights. It was a very inclusive environment,” Dye said. 

Although housing will lead to more educational opportunities for current and future Hatfield students, increased prices are a possibility. According to Dye, the current prices are very affordable. 

According to Cowen, the current student housing prices have been low for decades. The new units will be more reflective of actual costs and will be competitive compared to housing rates in Newport and Corvallis. 

In terms of the old units, current plans are to remodel most units as one-bedroom units with a few converted into office units.