Navigating resources on campus

Healthy living
Navigating resources on campus
CAPS seeks to improve student mental health

The COVID-19 pandemic triggered a 25% increase in worldwide anxiety and depression, particularly affecting young people, according to the World Health Organization.

For those who struggle on campus, Oregon State University’s Counseling and Psychological Services is the main resource for mental health services.

CAPS is a student-fee-funded department providing confidential mental health counseling to the OSU community, as well as out- reach and education opportunities.

The organization does not charge fee-pay- ing students for any of their services accord- ing to an email from Tess Webster-Henry, a mental health promotion and suicide prevention specialist at CAPS.
“CAPS has a wide variety of services to help (students) with everything from urgent needs to proactive ways to support mental health,” Webster-Henry said.

According to the CAPS website, these include single-session clinics as well as short-term psychological counseling, beginning with a phone consultation session.

For students seeking long-term care, the department provides access to Thriving- Campus, a service for searching curated mental healthcare providers in the state.

CAPS also hosts a variety of group counseling sessions including groups for those living with chronic pain or illness, women of color and genderqueer students. They also offer skill-building sessions like making friendships and dealing with challenging family dynamics.

“Students that attend our groups love them and many return term after term,” Webster-Henry said.

The CAPS website also mentions that students can seek advice if they are concerned about another student, though they should call 911 if they are in imminent danger of harming themself or others.

“Students should know that CAPS is always here for them 24/7,” Webster-Henry said. Students can find the CAPS mental health crisis number on the back of their ID cards. CAPS crisis services are available 24/7 at 541-737-2131.

Beyond counseling, CAPS also offers a variety of wellness events, like a veteran disc golf competition, and speed friending, a platonic twist on speed dating. CAPS also has a student advisory board, which advises the CAPS director on potential changes to the program, including strategic initiatives and hiring selection.

H Beck
Student Health Services helps students navigate the healthcare system

Navigating healthcare is one of many challenges new college students face, which is where Student Health Services fits into a students’ life.

SHS is a student-fee-funded program, providing a variety of healthcare to students for free or a reduced amount. Dr. Shanilka deSoyza, the medical director at SHS, is beginning her 19th year at the department.

“We see the usual things,” deSoyza said, listing the flu, sports injuries and chronic conditions like diabetes among others. Much of this care takes place at the Health Center, located directly next to Reser Stadium.

Among their offerings, students can ac- cess care like regular checkups, contraceptive care available through the Oregon Contraceptive Care program and immunizations. They also grant access to in-house laboratory tests, which only charges enough to cover their costs, according to deSoyza.

A full list of their services, which include addiction support and survivor care, can be found online. Appointments can be scheduled online and over the phone.

DeSoyza stresses the value of SHS beyond direct treatment, but also as a resource in navigating the American healthcare system, “We can’t take care of everything, but we can get (patients) where they need to go.”

She also has advice to offer to students figuring out their healthcare: “(You) don’t have to take things at face value … think of it as a partnership,” deSoyza said. Specifically, she encourages students to reach out to their insurance provider beforehand to see what services and facilities they cover in Corvallis and at SHS.

They also offer health insurance plans for students who don’t have any.

For those who struggle with healthcare anxiety, deSoyza recommends making a telehealth appointment.

She said that telehealth can make patients feel more comfortable with their providers before having to come to an appointment in-person, which is something she has seen in the past.

“The healthcare system is anxiety-provoking. There is a good reason for that … but here, we want to think of ourselves as a safe space,” deSoyza said.

H Beck
Recreational sports provides students low-cost activities

Swimming, climbing, archery, gymnastics — the recently concluded Paris Olym- pics has celebrated a variety of sports, and chances are Recreational Sports has them for cheap or for free.

The Rec Sports Fair will be taking place on Sept. 23 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Student Legacy Park. Attendees will be able to learn more about the program’s offerings.

Oregon State University’s Recreational Sports program offers students a variety of recreational and physical opportunities funded by student fees.

According to an email from Brian Hustoles, Recreational Sport’s assistant director of marketing and communications, the orga- nization oversees over 200,000 square feet of facilities and 13 acres of outdoor spaces.

Among these, Dixon and McAlexander Field House stand out. These facilities house many of the workout spaces available. Between these, there are weight rooms, multipurpose courts, climbing walls, an indoor track and swimming facilities. In both buildings, the main lobby houses an equipment rental desk.

The program offers students “Group Fitness Classes” like cycling, cardio kickboxing, yoga and a new mindfulness class.

Rec Sports also provides a number of programs on and around campus. Students can sign up for over 65 intramural leagues year- round, including wheelchair basketball, goalball and beep ball. They also house 39 sports clubs, like Archery Club, Gymnastics Club and Fishing Club.

The program also encompasses the Adventure Leadership Institute and offers several all-day trips doing activities like canyoneering, backpacking and rafting among leadership certificates and credit classes.

For students who struggle with gym anxiety, Hustoles recommends the “Find Your Fit” program, which provides tours of the Rec Sports facilities and matches students with workout partners.

“Whether you’re motivating one anoth- er at a fitness class, competing with your teammates through sports or experiencing a memorable outdoor experience, Rec Sports helps you to find your fit while forging friendships,” Hustoles said.