From walk-on to a full-ride

Trent Walker’s loyalty lies with the Beavers
From walk-on to a full-ride

“I think in (Trent Walker’s) head, he was going to be an Oregon State Beaver no matter what,”  Walker’s former coach, Bob Boyer, at Beaverton High School said. 

The Oregon State wide receiver, Trent Walker, was raised on Beaver soil. His parents met at OSU and his older brother is an alum.

Walker’s family had season tickets growing up, so he attended many football games with his sights set on Oregon State.

“It was always a dream school to play here,” Walker said. “It was surreal when I first stepped on campus.” 

Walker’s journey to playing football at OSU wasn’t as seamless as he would have hoped.

During his senior year of high school, Walker spent his time on the football field sidelined because of an injury. This caused his college recruitment process to become stagnant, leaving him with no choice but to attempt to walk-on at OSU.

“Oregon State doesn’t treat walk-ons any differently than they do scholarship players,” Walker said. “The only difference is getting tuition paid for.”

Walker’s skill and resilience impressed past and present OSU coaches. In April of 2024, he received a full scholarship.

“Getting a scholarship is one part of my goal,” Walker said. “Helping my parents out with tuition and to keep reaching those goals feels good.”

This scholarship allowed Walker’s dad, Tom, to move up his retirement; which was very important to him. 

At the end of the 2023 season, Oregon State football lost 25 players and most of their coaching staff.

“When all the transfers happened and the coach left, it would have been very easy for (Walker) to go someplace else,” Boyer said. “In this day and age where that’s what everybody does, he didn’t do it.” 

As a loyal fourth-year, Walker has endured the influx of new staff and players first-hand.

“It feels like a new team, but it felt like a fresh start. I was a walk-on during the time, so it felt like I had more opportunities than I ever had,” Walker said.

Under former head coach, Jonathan Smith, Walker saw minimal field time, tallying 66 yards and five receptions in 14 games. 

With an all-new coaching staff and team, a new door has opened and Walker leads the team in receiving yards, recording 229 yards and 23 receptions in four games. 

“There’s something that I noticed watching him on Saturdays now, it’s not just the big plays, it’s the little plays,” Boyer said. “It’s the blocking for the outside run, those kinds of things, and that selflessness that we saw in practices.” 

In high school, Walker’s athleticism and versatility led him to first-team all-league at both wide receiver and defensive back as a junior, in 2019.

He also received second-team all-state honors at wide receiver and honorable mention at defensive back that same year. On offense, Walker finished his junior season with 1,600 all-purpose yards and 13 touchdowns, and on defense, he tallied 59 tackles, two interceptions, and three forced fumbles. 

Despite his individual achievements, Walker sets the bar high for other players on his team because of his willingness to succeed as a unit rather than individually.

“Coach Bray does a good job cementing in our heads the star of the team is the team,” Walker said. “What matters most is getting a win.”

What sets Walker apart from the average D1 football player is his selflessness. 

Coach Boyer recalls a high school game in 2019 where teammate wide receiver Cody Davidson, a year older than Walker, had a standalone game. 

Walker didn’t see a lot of passes that game, but was quick to celebrate Davidson after every play.

“It just shows that he is there about the team and not just (himself),” Boyer said. “Every wide receiver thinks we need to be throwing them the ball more, and in that situation (Walker) was celebrating the other guy getting the job done.”

Walker and Davidson grew up together watching their older brothers play youth football, so their relationship is deeper than the game of football. 

Even with a new coaching staff and teammates, relationships are a valuable asset to Walker’s game. 

He continues to believe in himself and his school and is looking forward to playing football for the Beavers during his next three years of eligibility.

“I don’t want to speak for the team, but it seems like everyone has fully adjusted,” Walker said. “It feels less like a business and more like a family.”