OSU Volleyball falls to California in three

Sophomore outside hitter Maddie Goings (RIGHT) communicates to senior middle blocker Maddy Gravley (LEFT) after California scores on a kill. 

Jada Krening, Print Contributor

After falling to No. 2 Stanford on Friday, Oregon State Volleyball was swept by California this afternoon at Gill Coliseum with a final score of 0-3. The Beavers now fall to 10-12 overall and 0-10 in conference play, marking a ten game losing streak.

The Golden Bears capitalized on a slow start from the Beavers, taking a sizable early lead of seven points which the Beavers failed to recover from in the first set.

In the second set, a rally kept alive by OSU resulted in a block by senior middle blocker Maddy Gravley and freshman setter Maddie Sheehan, which allowed the Beavers to close in on the Golden Bear’s lead, trailing 23-24. However, California pulled ahead after a kill by redshirt-freshman middle blocker Lauren Forte, winning the set 23-25.

Despite several notable kills by Gravely, junior outside hitter Amy Underdown and sophomore outside hitter Maddie Goings in the third set, the Golden Bears came out on top, defeating the Beavers 20-25.

Senior defensive specialist Kayla Ellis, who had seven digs during the game, addressed the team’s slow start.

“I think we took them a little bit too lightly,” said Ellis. “We came off a really big high off of our Stanford game, because we really competed, and we didn’t come and compete from the very beginning today.”

Goings, who had 13 kills during the match, agreed with Ellis’ point.

“I think we didn’t have the mindset. We need to go up against other teams with the mindset that every team is Stanford. We need to go all out and go as hard as we can from the very beginning,” Goings said.

According to OSU Head Coach Mark Barnard, the team missed a golden opportunity to prove themselves Sunday after their competitive match against Stanford on Friday. He emphasized the importance of game mentality, and the team’s forward-looking focus on making trainings more competitive.

“You don’t get a lot of time, practice-wise during the week, especially since we travel Wednesday,” Barnard said. “So, just valuing those opportunities, and just playing volleyball. We should enjoy it.”

Looking forward to the rest of conference play, Ellis remains optimistic.

“For me, the Pac-12 is a grind. It’s going to be hard. No matter what, if you win or lose, you just have to show up to the next game,” Ellis said. “Everybody is beatable in the Pac-12, and we just have to go in with that mindset.”

The Beavers continue their Pac-12 season Friday in Arizona, facing the No. 25 University of Arizona.