Meet the ASOSU lobbyists: Eric George

Eric George, Isamar Chávez and Candalynn Johnson stand with legislative aide and OSU graduate (second from left) Jon Bosworth outside of Rep. Earl Blumenauer’s office. 

Riley Youngman, Editor-in-Chief

Eric George

• Pronouns: He, Him, His
  • Year: 5th
  • Major: Environmental Engineering and Political Science

George was born and raised in Portland, and came to OSU to pursue an environmental engineering degree. A fifth-year engineering student, George brings a unique perspective to the lobby group as a whole.

One of George’s goals with the trip was to help mend the gap that exists between political parties both nationally as well as in Corvallis.

“I look forward to communicating with those whom I did and did not vote for,” George said. “I am also hoping to bridge the divide by those in Washington and the issues that we find important at home.”

George is passionate about a long list of issues, including higher education affordability, sexual assault prevention, as well as affordable housing, green infrastructure, public transportation and healthy and affordable food alternatives.

George’s past political experience include working on Dan Rayfield’s 2014 campaign for State Representative for District 16. He has also lobbied in Salem for higher education affordability.

Outside of politics, George is also involved in the local Corvallis community.

“I run the Corvallis Parks & Recreation Youth Lacrosse Program. We have about 50 kids ranging from third to eighth grade,” George said.

George’s favorite part of the lobby trip was witnessing so many future leaders advocate for issues that they are passionate about. The most meaningful was going to the Native American Museum and seeing how indigenous peoples have been systematically oppressed for centuries. According to George, the museum was sorrowful, but also powerful.

“I believe that our Oregon Senators and Representatives do a great job reflecting the values of Oregonians,”George said. “That being said, it’s crucial that they hear our stories and continue the fight in D.C. It’s up to us to hold them accountable.”

After the trip, George hopes that the momentum that the lobby team gained on the trip doesn’t diminish and that they continue their advocacy for exploited groups. He is mindful of his environment, and how that can deter certain people from remaining engaged.

“I think that sometimes in Oregon we get complacent with our recent political success” George said. “Being in D.C. and seeing the vast number of groups lobbying their elected leaders it reminded me that the fight isn’t over. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere and it’s absolutely necessary that we stay involved in the political process.”

George was joined on his sub-lobby team by Candalynn Johnson and Isamar Chávez.