ASOSU presidential candidates’ last day to campaign begins

Rosie Morehead, Multimedia Contributor

Today is the last day for the three teams in the running for ASOSU’s Presidency and Vice Presidency. The two day online voting period that takes place Thursday, March 9th and Friday, March 10th.

Campaigning has been a full-time pursuit for the last nine days for Jacqueline Logsdon and Josey Koehn, Hevani Fifita and Hunter Briggs, and Simon Brundage and Radhika Shah.

Fifita and Briggs reflected on how their campaigning has gone so far throughout the last week and what their main methods included.

“Hevani and I are getting to reach out to a lot of people,” Briggs said. “We haven’t been doing the traditional campaign style of trying to push our platform on people. We have been mainly going to chat with people and see what they would like to see in student government if we were to get elected. We have gotten a lot of good feedback.”

“I really like our message and what we are saying, which I think really says something, that what we are doing is good for the students and it’s actually going to be helpful in the long run,” Fifita added. “I am meeting a lot of people that I never would have met before just through campaigning.”

For Logsdon and Koehn, their campaigning has included a lot of learning for the team.

“I think the campaigning is going really well,” Koehn said. “I am learning a lot about the different groups at Oregon State and what they find important about who is in leadership of student government, so that has been very interesting to me. I think we have also been learning a lot about each other which has been fun.”

“While I think it is important that I campaign, I also want to campaign by actually doing,” Logsdon. “I actually spent all day Wednesday in Salem talking with legislators, sharing my stories as a student to try and really get us that funding, because at the end of the day it would be great to win this election, but I think it would also be great to score a victory for students regarding tuition.”

Brundage and Shah described some of the coverage of campus and the multiple varieties of groups that they visited so far, along with the social media progress.

“I think it is going very strongly,” Brundage said. “We visited as many cultural centers as we can, we have attended nine different fraternities and sororities so far. The Facebook (page) is also doing very well, we have been getting a lot of publicity, the ads are certainly getting a lot of clicks. The campaign is definitely generating enthusiasm and interest which all are good signs.”

“We saw a lot of momentum at the beginning of this week and something we were talking about earlier is that we definitely need to keep that energy up and one thing that we have been pushing a lot is even if you don’t agree with us or our platform, which we hope you do of course, just voting in general is the most important thing,” Shah said.