18 turnovers stop Oregon State’s chance at first Pac-12 win

Cassidy Wood, Multimedia Contributor

Now winless through 14 conference games after losing 60-52 Thursday night to Colorado, the Beavers’ probability of finding a victory this season seems even further out of reach.

The Oregon State men’s basketball team (4-23, 0-14 Pac-12) lost to the Colorado Buffaloes (16-11, 6-8) for the second time this season.  The Beavers came out strong at the start, only giving up the lead once in the first half, but then quickly lost the lead in the second half—ultimately costing them the game.

“It was a close game,” said sophomore forward Drew Eubanks. “We lost the lead at the end with a minute left because we were too loose with the ball, and we lost it on turnovers; those were key turnovers.”

With a total of 18 turnovers, and multiple three-minute scoring droughts in the second half, the Beavers could only manage 27 points after halftime; compared to 36 from Colorado.

“It’s young guys being too casual with the ball,” said head coach Wayne Tinkle.  “We were on a pretty good roll to get back in it, and we got loose with the ball; and then one guy ends up on the floor, or travels, or throws it out of bounds. The turnovers were big too.”

Tinkle thinks the main reason why the Beavers can’t seem to find success in the second half is the lack of maturity.  With nine of the 13 players being underclassmen, there is a need for more leadership.

“The lack of leadership,” said Tinkle.  “We need an ‘energy bunny,’ and we don’t have it.  We don’t have that make up; we don’t have that leadership. And that is something we’re certainly going to address and develop as we move forward.”

“We need to play more as a team,” said sophomore center Gligorije Rakocevic.  “It’s not about the points, or rebounds. It’s about playing as a team.  Playing for each other. Coach talks about that every single day, but we still came up short tonight.”

Stevie Thompson Jr. had a career high of 26 points in OSU’s first matchup with Colorado on Jan. 26.  In their second matchup on Thursday night, he totaled five points and eight turnovers.

“When we go off on our own page, and we drift away from the way the Beavers have been doing things since the start of the season, it costs us,” said Tinkle.  “It cost us down the stretch on both ends (tonight); we were loose with the ball and didn’t execute, and then we didn’t guard like we were supposed to guard.”