What does being a sanctuary campus mean?

Valerie Maule

On Wednesday evening a meeting was taken place at the Central Cultural Cesar Chavez building to hold discussions in regards to what being a sanctuary university will be and what it will mean for the students here at Oregon State University.

Many were present during the meeting, such as President Edward Ray, Vice Provost. For Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole and Director of Strategic Initiatives Scott Vignos, among others.

OSU President Ed Ray begins by informing OSU will stand by it’s students and will not be cooperating with the federal laws.

“We’re not enforcing federal laws, we never enforce federal laws. We’re not an enforcement agency,” Ray said. “We have no intentions of cooperating to rounding people up or any such nonsense. If we get a court order, warrant or subpoena, we will cooperate within the law to make sure we will do everything we can to help and protect students.”

OSU is legally under rights to not provide information regarding undocumented students, according to Brubaker-Cole.

“There is no federal law that requires universities to assist homeland security and the immigration and customs’ enforcement with federal engagement. By enforcement that means detainment of individuals, arrest or volunteering information.” Brubaker-Cole said.

For students who have concerns and want information in regards to threats of deportation there are many resources here on campus that are both free of charge and confidential.  One such resource is to get in contact with ASOSU. 

“We strongly recommend that individuals, students, who have questions seek legal advice at the ASOSU. This is a separate legal entity from Oregon State University. And that’s important. Because it allows students consulting with ASOSU confidentiality around the conversation between the student. OSU does not have access to that information, we cannot  have access to that information and that’s important because if we ever get a subpoena, we could not provide that information.” said Brubaker-Cole. 

There will also be documentation posted which will be a list of frequently ask questions that faculty members at OSU created to help inform students by addressing and more in detail about Oregon State University being a sanctuary campus as well as concerns regarding deportation and how someone can seek help.

“We want you to know that we are here to support our students in the best way that we can,” said Associate Vice Provost. for Student Affairs and Dean of Student Life Angela Batista.

“We (people of minorities) may not feel as comfortable accessing every type of services.  But there are many types of services that you can ask us and you should feel free always to send people to us if you think they can be helped.”

Because Oregon as a whole is a sanctuary state, local authorities and Oregon State police will also not be voluntarily providing documentations strictly regarding. Oregon State Police are a separate entity to the University and can and do enforce laws. However under the act of 1081 a 20 they are prohibited using resources if it is only regarding immigration violation unless under high level offence. OSP are also prohibited to conduct random immigration checks at oregon state university.  

Batista urges students to gather the information and resources they need. That there are many opportunity to seek help and resources to protect themselves.

“Don’t wait until you’re in a crisis.” said Batista.