Beavers can’t keep pace with Boise State

OSU vs BSU Collins 3rd Down Catch 1.jpg

Cassidy Wood, Multimedia Contributor

The Oregon State football team hosted Boise State on Saturday.  The Beavers had a rough first half, putting them down 31-7 at halftime. They were able to make some successful changes in the second half, including a surprising quarterback switch, but did not have enough time to make the full comeback.  The final score was 38-24 Boise State.

There were some key playmakers on the offensive side.  Victor Bolden had a 99 yard kick return, which closed the 20-point score gap.  Ryan Nall, who only totaled 39 yards in the Beavers last game against Idaho State, had 110 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries.

“We still need some work,” Nall said, “We need to change our habits. The way we approach things every single day, so that come game day, we are ready.”

Oregon State came out in the second half with a surprising quarterback switch.  Conor Blount, a true freshman from Wisconsin, replaced junior quarterback Darell Garretson.  But why turn to the walk-on Blount over sophomore backup, Marcus McMaryion?

“We were in a position to look at Conor and see what he was willing to do under fire in a big-time situation, in that moment,” Andersen said. “I thought he handled it very well for his first time out there. I think Conor can bring some things to the offense at times with his legs.  I’m not afraid to give freshmen an opportunity.”

Boise State is known to have a very physical offense, and the Beavers defense struggled with this on Saturday.  Throughout practice last week, Andersen constantly stated how important it is for defensive players to tackle in space; how they need to leverage the offense, so the field shrinks.  

“Am I proud of the way the defense came out in the second half? Yes,” Andersen said.  “They did some good things. But in the first half, they did not.”

At the end of the second quarter, the Boise State Broncos outgained Oregon State by 368 yards (435-67).

“It takes four quarters,” said Andersen.  “There are going to be times when the offense won’t play well.  There are going to be times when the defense won’t play well; but it can’t be so lopsided.  And looking at those yards after the first half, ‘lopsided’ is an understatement.”

The defensive players agreed with their head coach’s assessment.

“Coming out into the second half, we had a different mindset,” said sophomore outside linebacker Bright Ugwoegbu.  “We talked at halftime about how we were not playing Oregon State defense, and how that needed to change.  The first half was on us. We let them get that many yards, we let them get that many first downs, and that is on us.”

The Oregon State Beavers have a tough schedule moving forward; facing the Colorado Buffalos this Saturday in Colorado, followed by California and Utah at home in the weeks following.

“If I had to assess our team right now, (going into Pac12 play), I would say that we are a team that will fight, that will learn how to continually battle, and will not give up,” Andersen said.