Beyond the Box: Boise State

Autumn Pierce Orange Media Network
OSU vs Idaho State

Josh Worden, Senior Beat Reporter

The stats that you find in your average box score

The Oregon State football team (1-1) got its first win in 364 days by beating Idaho State on Saturday, 37-7. OSU faces Boise State this Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in Reser Stadium to try to finish the nonconference season with a winning record for the fifth consecutive year. Here are the statistics from the first two games that may not appear in the average box score. 

For the first time since the first week of October 2014, OSU won a game the same week that Oregon lost. This Saturday it was OSU beating Idaho State and Oregon losing to Nebraska; in 2014 it was Oregon losing at home to Arizona and OSU beating Colorado on the road.

The 37-7 win over Idaho State was the biggest margin of victory for OSU in the last three seasons. The Beavers haven’t won a game by more than 30 points in the last 32 contests, dating back to a 49-17 win versus California in 2013.

Through two games OSU has returned seven punts for negative nine yards with two fumbles.

Since 2014, 32 of OSU’s 41 field goal attempted have been taken in Reser Stadium. This season, OSU attempted four field goals in the home game versus Idaho State after not attempting any at Minnesota. 

Senior cornerback Treston Decoud helped OSU snap a 22-game streak without an OSU cornerback recording an interception when he nabbed two against Idaho State, including a 75-yard pick-six. It was OSU’s longest interception return since Terrence Carroll’s 79-yarder vs. USC in 2000.

The pick-six was OSU’s first in 364 days — also the last day OSU had won a football game — dating back to linebacker Caleb Saulo’s touchdown return in the 35-21 OSU win over San Jose State last year.

Decoud is the first OSU player to record two interceptions in a game since safety Tyrequek Zimmerman in 2014. Both games were the home openers of their respective seasons and both were against Big Sky Conference teams — Idaho State and Portland State, respectively.

In the season opener against Minnesota, OSU snapped a 21-game streak of failing to convert on more than 50 percent of third down conversions. The Beavers went 10-for-19 on third downs.

So far this season, the Beavers’ running backs have as many receiving touchdowns as the wide receivers, and the wide receivers have as many rushing touchdowns as the running backs, both at one apiece.

Through two games, OSU’s leading rushers are is senior wide receiver Victor Bolden (111 yards) and sophomore running back Ryan Nall (110 yards). Nall has carried the ball 26 times to Bolden’s four attempts; most of Bolden’s yards came from a 92-yard touchdown against ISU.

Nall has carried the ball 11 times for 81 yards in first quarters this season. In all other quarters combined, he has 15 attempts for 29 yards. He’s averaging 5.8 yards per attempt on plays in between the 20 yard lines but only 1.8 yards per carry outside the 20 yard lines.

On first-and-10 situations, Nall is averaging 2.5 yards per carry.

After being the last team in the nation to allow a third down conversion two years in a row — holding Portland State and Weber State to a 0-for-22 mark combined in the two season openers — the Beavers allowed Minnesota to go 8-for-16 on third downs in the 2016 opener.

On fourth downs this year, OSU has failed to convert on all three attempts, two of which were fourth-and-one situations.

Sophomore defensive lineman Kalani Vakameilalo only has one tackle this year but he made it count: a sack against Idaho State. In both his seasons at OSU, his first tackle of the year was a sack.

And for the completely arbitrary note of the day: both the quarterbacks OSU will face in games two and three, Idaho State’s Tanner Gueller and Boise State’s Brett Rypien, are 6-foot-2 sophomores who wear the jersey No. 4 and are from Washington.

On Twitter @BrightTies