Physical assault allegedly motivated by hate, sexual orientation bias at OSU

Possible student physically attacked on campus near Tebeau Hall by two “college-aged” males

General Crime Graphic

Lara Rivera, News Contributor

Update made Feb. 22 at 5:26 p.m. with quotes from Steve Clark, vice president of University Relations and Marketing, and additional information about the Community Care Circle.

Oregon State University Department of Public Safety is investigating a report of physical assault allegedly motivated by hate and sexual bias that happened around 10:45 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 17 on the parking lot southeast of Tebeau Hall on the Corvallis, Ore. campus. 

The victim reported to the OSU police department that they were attacked by two unknown suspects that yelled expletives and slurs during the attack correlating to the victim’s sexual orientation. 

The OSUPD has been unable to identify the suspects, but the victim describes the suspects as two “college-aged” males who were possibly intoxicated. There were no more details about the suspects provided to the OSUPD. 

The victim also reported that a witness was potentially in the area.

“OSU takes seriously this report of violence against a community member,” said Steve Clark, vice president of University Relations and Marketing.  “We condemn hate and bias-motivated violence.”

The Oregon Department of Public Safety reminded survivors and impacted parties that they are never at fault for the actions of those who committed the crime against them.

Crimes are committed when motive, means and opportunity exist,” said the statement released to OSU students early Friday night.

To limit opportunities for crime, OSU Department of Public Safety suggests locking your doors, traveling in groups or establishing an itinerary in order to increase prevention. 

They urged students and community members to report biases to the Oregon State University Bias Response Team and call 911 if there is any immediate danger to someone’s life, health and/or property. The OSU Bias Incident Response Hotline is staffed by providers with expertise in bias and are available 24-hours a day by calling 541-737-1731. 

They also referred students to the Survivor Advocacy and Resource Center, which is a confidential resource at OSU to support survivors of interpersonal violence. There are mental health resources through the Counseling and Psychological Services at OSU. 

“All members of the community deserve to feel safe and respected, and Oregon State’s core values of diversity, respect, and social responsibility call upon each of us to support reaching out and support members of the university community in moments like this,” Clark said. 

According to Clark, a community space for students and faculty impacted by this incident will be held on Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m. in Kaku-Ixt Mana Ina Haws student cultural resource center on the Corvallis campus. Staff from CAPS, Diversity and Cultural Engagement, University Housing and Dining Services, Office of Institutional Diversity and University Human resources will be available to provide support. 

OSUPD can be reached 24-hours a day, and encourages anyone with information on the crime, or any other crime, to call the Department of Public Safety at 541-737-7000 or by dialing 911.

This story is an ongoing investigation and will be updated as more information is available.