Community care event to be held at OSU Tuesday in response to alleged bias assault

This illustration depicts the details of the Community Care Circle event that will be taking place on Feb. 22 at 6:30 p.m. kaku-ixt mana ina haws in response to an alleged bias assault that took place on campus last week.

Courtesy of The Pride Center

Sam Misa, News Contributor

A Community Care Circle will be held on Tuesday evening at 6:30 p.m. as a result of a physical assault from Feb. 17 that may have been motivated by sexual orientation bias.

Held at the Kaku-Ixt Mana Ina Haws on the Oregon State University Corvallis, Ore. campus, the event is planned to include staff from the Counseling and Psychological Services office as well as the Pride Center, Diversity and Cultural Engagement, University Housing and Dining Services and the Office of Institutional Diversity.

“To those who are hurting as a result of this news, we want to let you know you are seen and we share your pain,” said Dan Larson, vice provost for Student Affairs, and Scott Vignos, interim vice president and chief diversity officer, in a press release to students. “As community members, especially those who are not immediately harmed in this moment, we must continue working to uplift the dignity and humanity of every OSU community member by challenging hate wherever we observe it.”

According to Larson, the incident is being investigated by the OSU Police Department. Larson also urges anyone with information on the crime to call the OSU Department of Public Safety at 541-737-7000.