Discounts offered for on-campus housing

Jada Krening, News Reporter

Although Oregon State University students typically seek off-campus housing after their first year in residence halls, students who decide to continue living on-campus receive special benefits and discounts that vary from year to year, though not including a dining plan. 

Second-year and above students who sign up to live on-campus for the upcoming 2019-20 school year receive $1,050 off next year’s annual room rate, in addition to other perks not available to students living off campus.

There are currently over 700 second-year and above students, including transfer and graduate students, living in on-campus housing. 

Jennifer Viña, associate director of University Housing & Dining Services, said housing options for second-year and above students include reserved floors and wings in buildings like Halsell, Tebeau, Hawley and Buxton Hall. Several room options are available for students, including singles, doubles, triples and suites.

Moreover, UHDS offers a dedicated building to second-year and above students in Halsell Hall, located on the south side of campus, adjacent to Arnold Dining Hall, Cascadia Market and the International Learning-Living Center. The hall features apartment-style housing, complete with furniture, a living space, TV and streaming entertainment, a bathroom, appliances and a kitchen facility. 

Halsell Hall also includes the Transfer Student Living Room, providing a lounge and home for transfer students to gather at OSU.

Rates at Halsell vary depending on which room option students select, ranging from $6,630 to $11,940 per year. 

Current OSU students  get first priority when selecting their rooms, in addition to the $1,050 per year discount. 

On-campus second-year and above students across campus enjoy included amenities like laundry, academic support, late-night food delivery and fast wifi, along with discounts on dining center meals, according to Viña. 

“Second-year and above students often choose to live on-campus another year to enjoy the same convenience and support available to them their first year at OSU,” Viña said via email. “We also see many students who did not get the chance to live on-campus previously apply for on-campus housing to get better connected to campus life.”