Letters from the Editors

Kera Nelson and Audrey Saiz hold out previous Barometer Issues on Sept. 18.
Morgan Barnaby
Kera Nelson

We’re putting a twist on the singular “Letter from the Editor” to demonstrate the collaborative nature of this issue! The Barometer is all about reporting news that matters most to OSU, but behind the scenes, we’re all a bunch of students hoping to support this community with the stories we publish.

Orange Media Network is going into this year as a collaborative team and on the Baro team, we hope to do the same.

Our “Back to School” September issue was brought to life by reporters, columnists, editors, photographers, designers and marketers from both our summer staff and academic year team. After working together for several weeks, we couldn’t be more thrilled to share this issue with you, our readers.

Over the summer, I had the somewhat unexpected opportunity to be the Baro’s editor-in-chief. I never imagined I would end up here when I wrote my first story as a reporter. As I reflect on my experiences, I want to remind you of all the opportunities waiting to be found at OSU as the new school year unfolds.

Stepping into my new role as assistant editor, I’m excited to work alongside Audrey as our editor-in-chief as we forge ahead into a new school year with our team. We plan to continue our impactful news coverage and seek new ways to engage with our audiences.

Let’s take on this year together!

Audrey Saiz

As a student news organization, we are faced with the task of presenting the world of Oregon State University as it is every day. Our papers go back decades and record history throughout the life of this university.

We are also students. We go through many of the same trials, we study for finals and work through majors and we are here to elevate your voices.

As editor-in-chief of the 2024-2025 school year, I am grateful to take on this paper after a great few months of Kera Nelson being summer editor.

Our team is excited to get going on this school year and boost the voices of OSU. In the 128 years since it was started, the Barometer has always been a record of what is happening. I want to continue that legacy of the Barometer during my time as editor-in-chief.

When I decided to begin my journey in student journalism, it was because I wanted to give a voice to students at OSU who felt underrepresented for whatever reason. It was challenging as an out-of-state freshman coming to a new college, and being able to see all of the incredible research and clubs at OSU helped me find a place for myself at this school.

If you have something that concerns you on campus please come to us. If you have an event happening soon please submit a news tip. We can’t write about everything because we are students too, and we try to be students first, but we have your back. We try to prioritize news that has a direct impact on students, and we want to be the voice for this community.