Seasoned Beavers offer tips

OSU community advice for incoming students
Dylan de Honor sings and plays the piano with their friends Celio and Jordan on the corner of Madison Avenue and 2nd Street in Corvallis during the Saturday Market on September 7, 2024.
Carter Purdue

Just like the orange leaves that rush from the trees, there comes a new wave of incoming students to the town of Corvallis as fall rolls in.

For many students, this will be their first time living independently from their families, some far from home. Navigating this newfound collegiate landscape – from making friends to easing into classes – can be just as nerve-wracking and challenging as it is exciting and liberating.

Daniel Morin is a senior studying forestry who lived in Finley Hall during his time as a freshman at Oregon State University.

“When I moved in my freshman year, my roommate (and I), we were both randoms so it was kind of awkward to meet him at first. But I think the biggest thing is that you just gotta embrace that awkwardness,” Morin said.

According to Morin, it is precisely leaning into this tension and awkwardness that helps you break through it.

“It can be kind of hard to put yourself out there and try to get to know people but I think trying to get around and say ‘hey, my name is ‘blah blah blah’ and ‘what’s your major?’, it’s those kinds of questions which allow you to make really big connections,” Morin said.

This new environment for incoming students can often feel like being a small fish in a large pond. Clubs or events can be helpful in mitigating these feelings of isolation, and help new students gain a sense of belonging at OSU.

Emmaline, an OSU student going into the field of natural resources, and Kali share strawberries in downtown Corvallis next to the Willamette river during the Saturday Market on September 7, 2024. (Carter Purdue)

“I would encourage students to try and spend at least a little time with their roommates, and understand that you don’t necessarily have to be best friends with the

person or people you’re living with. Try to make a cleaning schedule and have honest communication with your roommates,” said Ella Cave, current Resident Assistant in Tebeau Hall.

Cave believes that clubs are an important part of the college experience. It’s a chance for students to meet new people and build relationships with one another.

“Clubs also typically have consistent schedules which helps build a routine and adjust to living in a new space,” Cave said.

According to an email from the Office of Academic Support Director, Clare Creighton, “There are a lot of great activities happening in the first few weeks of the term, but the Beaver Community Fair is a great starting place.”

Creighton said students should make an effort to visit the Cultural Resource Centers. According to the Cultural Resource Center’s website, “The centers provide support services to on-campus and online students, as well as opportunities for all members of the OSU community to learn about different cultures and communities in a safer environment.”

“I highly recommend forming study groups and working with other students to learn together. One way to do that is to join a Supplemental Instruction (SI) study table at the start of the term,” Creighton said.

SI is a program where students can register to study in study groups with other students who may be taking the same course as they are. Students can register for a study group on the Supplemental Instruction website.

Creighton also recommended reaching out to instructors during the start of the term and using academic support resources such as the Academic Success Center.