This year’s Memorial Day weekend to include campus, city events

Kierstin Thompson
The eternal flame burns outside of the National Guard building in Corvallis, Oregon, in remembrance of veterans on May 15.

This Memorial Day weekend will host a series of events both on campus and in the city of Corvallis.

On May 24, the OSU Student Veterans Association, in collaboration with the Air Force ROTC, will hold a gathering at the Holcomb Center on OSU’s campus.

The event will begin at 11 a.m. with a reception and color guard. At 11:30 a.m., speakers will read the names of the Oregon State Gold Star Veterans, a group of OSU alumni who have served in the military, according to the program’s website. There will also be catering and a military community social.

The gathering will be open to the whole campus, not just student veterans and those in the military, according to Gabriel Julum, vice president of the OSU Student Veterans Association. 

Outside of OSU’s campus, the National Guard Armory at 1100 NW Kings Blvd will host the Benton County Veterans Memorial beginning May 27 at 2 p.m. The memorial will be open 24/7, according to the event’s website, which invites visitors to “come by and quietly spend a few moments pondering the human cost of maintaining freedom.”

Other events over Memorial Day weekend include an open house at Airlie Willamette Valley Winery, where visitors can taste wine and enjoy live music on May 25-27 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Admission will be $15 per person, or $10 per person bringing their own wine glass, and half-off for wine club members, according to the winery’s website.

Additionally, the Corvallis Public Library will host a Robotics Day on May 25 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., featuring robotics and other STEM-related activities, according to the library’s website.

There also happens to be a concert and picnic at Tyee Wine Cellars at 26335 Greenberry Rd. The event will take place on Memorial Day, May 27, from 12 pm to 5 pm. There will be a $10 entry fee that comes along with Soul food and music by The Space Neighbors and Cool Jones, according to the wine cellar’s website. Visitors may bring their own picnic arrangement but no outside drinks or pets will be allowed.

For more information on events over the weekend, see Visit Corvallis.