Fun in the sun: 3 must-have items for outdoor student activities

Skye J. Lyon, Forum contributor

It is easy for us to be consumed in mindless apps on our phone, spending hours staring at our computer screen hoping a notification pops up on Facebook, or simply engorging yourself in food or alcohol simply because you have nothing better to do during your idle time.

Don’t merely succumb to this lazily patched together routine. Here are three objects you will need to kick start your time spent beyond your bedroom walls to fully enjoy the fresh dose of Vitamin D in full abundance.

Frisbee:

With the sunlight illuminating campus and the plush fields of grass that our campus provides, grab some friends after your afternoon class and unwind with a game of Frisbee. Not only will you be surrounded in good company, but fully submerged in a visually stimulating environment amongst the Oregon State sequoias. If you are flying solo, no problem! So many games happen “spur-of-the-moment”. Don’t be shy. Introduce yourself, ask if you can join in, and be a part of the game.

Innova Frisbee from Big 5: $9.99

Hacky Sack:

Tan? Check. Sunglasses? Check. Hacky Sack? Come on! If you are from California, you should be able to scrounge up your old high school sack somewhere in the drawers of your dresser. If you do not have one…shame on you. How else are others supposed to know you attend an extremely liberal college in the heart of the Willamette Valley? Not only is playing this innocent game…simply amazing…it also subtly improves your coordination.

Sand Bags from Bombfootbags.com: $9-12

Sidewalk Chalk:

Let your inner Van Gogh be unleashed with this childhood classic. Imagine walking around campus and seeing some amazing artwork etched on the pavement. No matter what class you are adamantly trying to show up on time, 9 out of 10 times you will stop, smile, and stare in awe…especially if the work is exceptionally executed. The wonderful aspect about sidewalk’s best friend is that it can be a utensil to gather hordes of people together, or merely lose yourself in the moment.

Crayola Washable Sidewalk Chalk from Fred Meyer: $3.99

If you decide to pack these items with you daily or during your short days in class, you will find yourself embracing the wonderful possibilities campus life under the sun offers. Now, get on and go outside.

The opinions expressed in Lyon’s column do not necessarily represent those of The Daily Barometer staff.