Moms & Family Weekend at OSU starts today

Lauren Sluss News Reporter

Beginning today and continuing through Sunday, the Oregon State University campus will be welcoming thousands of mothers and family members to celebrate the annual Moms and Family Weekend, allowing students to showcase their college lives.

“This weekend, mothers and family members are able to get a glimpse into their student’s life here on campus,” said Linda Howard, MUPC Advisor. “It’s an opportunity for them to see how involved and engaged their students have become with the university.”

MUPC Event Coordinators Annie Wells and Stacey Wai, along with MUPC Director Jessica Hammock have been planning this weekend’s events since the conclusion of Dads and Family Weekend last November.

They were able to reach out to OSU facilities, colleges and Corvallis community partners in order to produce over 45 different events for mothers and family members to attend this weekend.

“It has been very successful every year,” Hammock said. “It’s really fun to see all the families come to town, and campus comes alive with all the events. People are always very happy to be here.”

Moms and Family Weekend began in 1924, and this year helps maintain its long history of being largest revenue generating weekend for the city of Corvallis throughout the entire year, according to Wells.

“This weekend is a part of OSU tradition,” Wells said. “It brings together not only families, but also the entire community.”

Families are encouraged to check in at the welcome table located in the Memorial Union concourse today from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., and again tomorrow from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to Wells.

“We will be offering a lot of merchandise for mothers and families to purchase, including shirts, wine glasses, tumblers, pins and charms,” Wells said. “We also will be able to answer any questions and direct families in the right direction.”

Families will also be provided with programs containing the weekend’s itinerary. After check in, Friday’s events include Paint Nite, All University Sing 2016 and will conclude with the Country Western Dance Club dance.

Saturday’s events will begin early with the Moms and Family Weekend Brunch in the MU Lounge from 9 to 11:30 a.m.

The brunch will cost $12 per plate. The winner of the 2016 Mom of the Year Award will also be recognized of the 2016 Mom of the Year Award. This year’s winner is Vicki Blakely, mother of Kelly Carroll. Students were asked to submit an essay prompt answering why their mom was special, and the winner was selected by an MUPC committee, including Wells.

“There were a lot of very touching entries, and it was very difficult to choose,” Wells said. “The winners will receive two brunch tickets, two comedy show tickets and two fashion show tickets.”

After having the opportunity to visit over 30 different events throughout Saturday, including Mom’s Challenge Course hosted by Dixon Recreation Center and an art festival in the SEC Plaza, mothers and families will be able to attend the night’s final event—the Comedy Show featuring Roy Wood Jr. and Kyle Dunnigan. Tickets are available online or at the door of LaSells Stewart Center.

Sunday’s events begin with the Give Us 5k Walk/Run, and conclude with a ballroom dance from 6 to 9 p.m.

These events allow students to give their mothers and family members a taste of what they do at the university, according to Hammock.

“This weekend highlights what’s going on at OSU,” Hammock said. “So many great things happen on campus, and students are given the opportunity to show what they have been up to this past year or few years.”

The events of Moms and Family Weekend would not have been possible without the help of student volunteers, according to Howard.

“Through volunteer students, we get a broad voice from the student body in planning the events,” Howard said. “We really wouldn’t do all of this without the help of those volunteers, and we would really like to appreciate them and thank them for all the hard work they put into making this happen.”

The complete schedule for the weekend can be found on the MUPC webpage, as well as ticket purchases for the fashion show, comedy show and Paint Nite.

Mom’s and Family Weekend not only allows parents to attend over 45 different events, but ultimately get to understand their students’ lives at OSU, according to Howard.

“For parents and family, it’s really great to get to meet their student’s friends, know where their classes are and get an idea of what their daily life is like,” Howard said. “It’s a great opportunity for family members to take pride in their students for their hard work.”

[email protected]