OSU swim team seniors prepare for final meet

Michael Kiever Sports Reporter

Kaitlyn Stroda

Q: What’s your favorite memory from the Pac-12 Championships in years past?

A: I think watching Sammy win the 1650 my sophomore year. It was really cool. The whole team was on the side of the pool cheering for her, it was a really intense race. She ended up winning in the end.

Q: What events will you be participating in for the Pac-12 Championships?

A: The 100 (meter) fly and 200 (meter) fly, and then 50 (meter) free.

Q: Expectations?

A: I think I’ll do well. I think it helps that this is my last one, so I’m going to give it everything I have left. We’ll see what happens.

Q: How are you feeling going into possibly one of your last meets?

A: It’s kind of sad but also really exciting. I’m gonna miss the team and miss swimming but I’m really excited.

Q:  Any teammates you think people should keep an eye on this week?

A: I think our sprinters, Sophie MacEwan and Anni Hecker, people don’t see them training a lot but have been doing a lot of sprint sets and seem really strong. They’ve been doing really well at weights. I think they might do really well at this (meet).

Amani Amr

Q: Favorite memory?

A: My favorite Pac-12 memory in the past was from my sophomore year, because it was the first time that I made finals. That is just one of the bigger goals that our team has. Since the Pac-12 conference is so fast, it’s really rare that one of us get the chance to swim in the finals, so I was really excited to be apart of it.

Q: Events?

A: I’m swimming the 100 backstroke, 200 backstroke, 50 freestyle, and then I’m guessing four relays. There are six relays, but each individual swimmer is only allowed to swim four.

Q: Expectations?

A: I’m just going in with a positive attitude, trying to have fun because I know it’s the last time. I’m not really worried about the time, I’m just trying to have fun. My family is coming to see me and I’m really just trying to enjoy the experience.

Q: Feelings going into possibly last meet?

A: It’s surreal because I’ve been swimming for so long, but I’m excited to start a new chapter.

Q: Which teammates should we keep an eye on?

A: Kaitlyn Stroda, because she is one of our hardest workers, and people don’t realize how hard she really works. She does so much more outside of swimming. She has work, she has one of the hardest majors. I’m really excited to see what she has to do at this last meet.

Claire McLaggan

Q: Favorite memory?

A: Probably last year, my 50 (meter) freestyle, I had to re-swim it to get a better time. I’m pretty sure I swam it by myself, but I got the best time I ever swam. You can swim it in your individual, then after the meet is over that morning you can swim it again for time trials, so it doesn’t count for the meet but you can still swim it just for personal time. It helped me push myself more this year. I was able to see how far I can go and use it as a stepping stone to where I’m at now.

Q: Events?

A: Sprint free, so the 50 (meter freestyle) is my best event, and then I’ll do backstroke and I might do breaststroke.

Q: Expectations?

A: At this point I just want to enjoy it, last meet being with my teammates. But I really want to improve my times overall.

A: It’s exciting and I’m kind of nervous. Mostly excited. It’s been a long road.

A: Definitely the juniors, it’s a big group of them but a lot of them are pretty powerful. Corrine Shigeta and Chelsea Chan, they’ve been working really hard in the breaststroke. Just mainly all of the breaststrokers.

Constance Toulemonde

Q: Favorite memory?

A: I think it was when (Sammy Harrison), our teammate, won the mile one or two years ago. It was really intense, she was in an incredible race. Everybody (watching) was even more excited than for their own races. This is where I really saw all the teamwork and effort.

Q: Events?

A: I’m going to swim in the 100 (meter) fly, 100 (meter) free, 50 (meter) free, and then most of the relays.

Q: Expectations?

A: I have big goals. I want to get a (potentially NCAA qualifying time) in the 100 fly. I really want to finish with a high.

A: It just doesn’t feel real. This is my last practice here (at the Osborn Aquatic Center, where interviews took place) and it just doesn’t feel real. I feel like I just got here. I’m pretty excited.

A: I think Czarina Isleta, she’s going to do great things. I’m sure she’s going to get a (potentially NCAA-qualifying time). I think there are many people here on the team who can (potentially qualify). Last year it was just (Harrison) that obviously was doing really great like she’s been doing all the time. I think Czarina Isleta, Andrea Young, they’ve been practicing incredibly hard this whole season. I also think Megan Lam, freshman, she can do really great in fly.

Sammy Harrison

Q: Favorite memory?

A: My favorite memory was from my sophomore year when I won the mile. It was really exciting to see my teammates on the side of the pool cheering for me the entire time, and then when I got out of the pool and saw that I had won they all ran over to my lane as soon as I got out.

Q: Events?

A: I’m swimming the 500 free, the 200 free, the 1650 free; five individual events.

Q: Expectations?

A: As a team, I just hope that as many people as possible can get personal bests, and just hoping that everyone has a really fun time. Personally, it’s my senior year, so I just want to make sure I’m having fun and hopefully I get the results that I want to get. If not, I still want to maintain my positive attitude.

A: I think the 200 medley relay has a really good chance of having a surprising outcome from what other people might think the expectations are. Individually, I think you can always expect big things from people like Czarina (Isleta) and Andrea (Young). Other than that, I think just because they’re really excited, the rest of the seniors. Especially Amani (Amr) and Constance (Toulemende), they are ready to finish their careers with some big swims.