DAMchic, OSU’s student produced fashion magazine

Iraiza de Vera Arts & Entertainment Contributor

DAMchic is a student produced fashion and lifestyle magazine that focuses on the culture at OSU.

The magazine started as a class project in 2012. It then grew into a club and now will be part of OSU’s funded multimedia enterprise, Orange Media Network.

As a publication, they look to promote the various aesthetics seen on campus. By being open to contributions from all students that want to join, DAMchic provides an inclusive environment.

“We want to include everyone… anyone who wants to be involved, can be involved,” said Brooklyn Cochran, fine arts senior and Editor-in -Chief of DAMchic magazine.

“I was never good at science or math in school but I was good at social interactions and being creative,” Cochran said.

DAMchic provides a space for students where they can explore their different talents and curiosities. The publication supports students who want to direct their work into a creative field and build their professional network. There are over fifty student members that make up nine specialized teams which include arts, graphics, business, social media, advertising and marketing. There are also a group of editors and fashion directors that oversee what goes into the final version of the issue.

“I feel like DAMchic is definitely a portfolio for students. We publish and produce editorials, photoshoots and ways for people to be creative outside of school,” Cochran said.

The variety of majors and passions represented through DAMchic demonstrate the product of collaboration. This creative outlet caters to students who are looking for ways to get involved with their peers and gain work experience. OSU alumni who were a part of DAMchic moved on to accept job titles at prestigious companies such as ESPN and Nike.

“Magazines are all about collaborating and who you know,” Cochran said.

In addition to those who work behind the scenes to put the magazine together, DAMchic also seeks student models for their publication. Cochran emphasized that the appearance of the models is not the primary criterion in choosing which students they work with.

“We don’t look for a certain type, it’s just anyone who is interested in modeling and available… we don’t photoshop any of our models because we should be photographing original models and students and people who live on campus,” Cochran said.

The stereotypical modeling standards do not act to represent the individual look of regular people.

“Who wants to look at a magazine with only tall, blonde models when that’s not what we see everyday on campus and that’s not who our neighbors are nor who our friends are,” she said.

As voiced by their mission statement, diversity and respect are components of DAMchic that the students try to stay true to.

“We don’t discriminate. We want to use as many people as possible. We also don’t reuse models, so everyone gets a fair and equal opportunity to get issued,” Cochran said.

Every term, DAMchic publishes an issue featuring different themes. The 2016 winter issue, “Blurred Lines,” incorporates androgynous style and unisex tones. Each issue explores the different territories within the theme including interior design, textures, and fashion.

DAMchic puts on three fashion shows each academic year. Last term, they held the Red Dress fashion show to raise AIDS awareness. This term, they will be hosting a recycled fashion show on Feb. 25th that showcases clothing made fully from reused material.There will be a fundraiser at Roxy Dawgs on Feb. 18th where 25% of each of the purchases from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. will be given to the organization.

DAMchic welcomes anyone who wants to join to attend their meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5pm in Milam Hall.