OSU community members recommend study spots on campus

Student Research Consultant and Circulation Desk Representative Jadyn Pando in front of the Valley Library on the Oregon State University Corvallis, Ore. campus. With the school year coming into full swing, finding a study spot may be difficult, but students can rest assured that the Valley Library will always have a spot for them.

Kimberly Clairmont, News Contributor

For many students, finding the perfect study spot can be a challenge. Oregon State University students and staff suggested a variety of places students can work efficiently on campus while observing health and safety protocols.

Noisy dorm rooms and crowded coffee shops don’t necessarily provide the best environment for students to work after classes end and buildings on campus close.

Luckily, OSU has a number of study spaces available to students on campus, whether they are located in the Memorial Union, the Valley Library, academic buildings or residence halls.

According to Rhyan Becker, the MU Student Advisory Board chair and guest services scheduler, there is a range of options students have when looking for places to study inside the MU.

“The MU has so many study spots that fit so many different student needs. We have private student study rooms, the main lounge with comfy chairs and couches, JavaStop and the Commons with food and so many other spots that are sort of tucked away,” Becker said.

Exploring campus to test out all your study spot options can be fun to do throughout a student’s time at OSU, according to Becker.

Mallory Schiebel, a third-year kinesiology student at OSU, said the MU is her top choice when looking for a spot on campus to study because of the relaxing ambiance.

“On a sunny day you can sit on the balcony by JavaStop upstairs and study overlooking the quad… They even put up lights inside around Christmas time which further enhances the study experience and makes the MU feel so homey,” Schiebel said.

The MU’s main lounge is often accompanied with the sound of classical music. Students on campus have the option of playing the piano in the lounge for their fellow students to enjoy any day of the week.

“I specifically remember one time pretty early on freshman year, I was studying there and a student started playing the piano and the atmosphere was so welcoming and peaceful and it made me feel so connected to campus and definitely helped me further enjoy my study experience,” Schiebel said.

While the MU’s architecture and comforting feel attract the attention of many students, the Valley Library is another fan-favorite among OSU community members.

Library Technician Kristin Swetland said the library’s study spaces can accommodate all study styles and also provide services and supplies for students.

Swetland listed many different spots within the library, saying, “There are quiet and individual study spaces, loud and group study spaces, spots by windows, spots by bookshelves, large tables, individual desks, soft furniture, study rooms and computers.”

For students looking for a quieter study space, the first and sixth floors of the library are designated quiet floors and often the best places to take your study materials.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 protocols, some changes have affected the library’s ability to ensure complete silence on the first floor, according to Swetland.

“Normally I would say the first floor which is the designated silent floor, but right now there is a huge project being worked on down there making the floor only partially open and definitely not silent,” Swetland said. “The best alternatives are [the] sixth floor which is designated [as] quiet and [where students can check out] a study room. Though the study rooms aren’t sound-proof, they tend to stay quieter than open floors.”

Student Research Consultant and Circulation Desk Representative Jadyn Pando said her favorite spots to study are the rotunda spaces—located on the second, fourth and fifth floors—because of the abundant natural light and gorgeous view from surrounding windows.

While the silent floors are often cherished by students looking to get away from the chatter-filled areas, library staff are looking forward to reestablishing a sense of community again. Over the last year, the library had closed off all floors except the second floor.

“I just can’t wait to see folks in the library again; it’s the community that brings it to life,” Pando said.