‘It takes a village:’ CARDV 5K for Safe Families returns in-person after two years

Photo by Steffi Kutcher | Orange Media Network

A file photo of the CARDV building from February 2018, located at 2208 SW 3rd St. in Corvallis, Ore. CARDV, which seeks to help those affected by sexual and domestic vio- lence, is having a 5K to raise awareness about sexual and doemstic violence and to raise funds to continue providing services.

Sam Albert, News Contributor

Content warning: This story contains mention of sexual and domestic violence. 

CARDV’s Run/Walk 5K for Safe Families is set for May 14, back with an in-person option after a two-year hiatus for its 20th anniversary race.

CARDV, the Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence, works to provide services and support for those who have been affected by sexual and domestic violence, as well as “education and leadership within the community to change the societal conditions that cultivate these forms of violence.” CARDV was named Nonprofit of the Year at the Corvallis Chamber of Commerce’s Celebrate Corvallis event on March 18.

The 5K starts at 9 a.m. at Austin Hall on the Oregon State University Corvallis, Ore. campus. Pre-registration for both the virtual and live options is available online through May 13 for a fee of $35 for adults, those at least 13 years old, and $10 for kids. The packet pick-up for pre-registered runners can be obtained from 3 to 6:30 p.m. on May 13 at the OSU Foundation building at the corner of 35th Street and Western Boulevard.

Day-of registration is available at 8 a.m. for a fee of $40 for adults and $10 for kids. In addition to the 5K, a Kids Dash event will start at 10:30 a.m..

“The purpose of the event is to continue to raise awareness about sexual and domestic violence,” said Kate Caldwell, executive director at CARDV. “We help financially support the work that we do and support survivors in their quest to find a way to create a new life for themselves.”

According to Caldwell, the sponsorship money for the race is going directly to helping survivors get access to or remain in safe housing. The registration funds will be used for CARDV’s general work: covering gas and relocation costs, helping sustain shelters and providing support groups for sexual and domestic violence survivors. 

“We continue to provide services and support for anyone in the community—literally, anyone in Linn and Benton County,” Caldwell said. “We are the only emergency shelter for survivors of domestic or sexual violence, and we are the only crisis support or hotline for anyone in Linn-Benton County.”

Caldwell said the event will feature many special guests, including the Corvallis Knights, Lil Mac, McGruff the Crime Dog and the Corvallis Police Department. Snacks and water will be available at the start of the race as well, thanks to local volunteers.

“Finding enough volunteers to help with the CARDV 5K Run/Walk definitely takes a village,” said Candy Pierson-Charlton, a board member at CARDV, on April 18. “We had 103 volunteer spots to fill and 98 volunteers signed up to help with the race, so we are looking for five more people to help.”

Pierson-Charlton contacted local organizations such as the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life, the Associated Students of OSU and the Linn-Benton NAACP branch in her search for volunteers—and positions are still open.

“All of the [Survivor Advocacy and Resource Center] staff are signed up and will be working as volunteers that day to support our sister program,” said Allison Wilson, director at OSU SARC. “We are thrilled that this event is back in person this year.”

If you or anyone you know needs assistance, contact the CARDV crisis & support hotline: (541) 754-0110.