Eight of nine Corvallis City Councilors confirmed, ballots still being counted for Ward 9 position

Adriana Gutierrez, News Reporter

All Corvallis City Councilor seats were on the ballot for the 2022 Midterm Oregon elections. Of the nine wards in Corvallis — outlining different areas in the city that the Councilor is responsible for — only three seats ran with more than one opponent. 

As of 2 p.m. on Thursday, Ward 3 — covering the southernmost district of Corvallis — remains under Hyatt Lytle’s jurisdiction. Lytle garnered 82.18% of the votes, whereas her opponent Alec Turner trailed behind with 16.49% of votes, according to poll results by the Oregon Secretary of State

Lytle has served as the Ward 3 councilor since 2016, while concurrently serving as City Council President. Turner is currently an Oregon State University student studying agricultural science.These midterm elections caused an upset in the Ward 2 district — covering Downtown Corvallis — with a new councilor taking an incumbent’s seat. Briae Lewis garnered 69.19% of votes, whereas incumbent Christina Jancila received only 29.79% of votes.

Lewis is the co-chair of Corvallis’s Home, Opportunity, Planning and Equity Advisory Board, as well as working as a residential support professional for the city organization for the past three years. 

Jancila was first elected to the council in September 2022. Her term will end on Dec. 31, 2022. 

Ward 9 — serving the northernmost area of Corvallis — is the final contested council seat. 

Three applicants are up for election: incumbent Cliff Feldman, Tony Cadena and Nyssa Towsley. Cadena is currently in the lead with 44.11% of votes, followed by Towsley with 33.18% and incumbent Feldman in last place with only 22.16% of the votes. 

Due to Corvallis’s new Ranked Choice Voting system, one candidate must get 50% of the votes in order to move forward as the Councilor-Elect. If one candidate does not receive 50% of the votes, they are eliminated and the ballots that counted towards this candidate will then be tallied by the voter’s second choice. 

The councilors of the other six unopposed wards are as follows: 

Ward 1: Jan Napack

Ward 4: Gabe Shepherd

Ward 5: Charlyn Ellis

Ward 6: Laurie Chaplan

Ward 7: Paul Shaffer

Ward 8: Tracey Yee