CPHHS hosts Trans Dudes with Lady Cancer screening

Sydni Zidarevich, Justice, Equity and Diversity Beat Reporter

The Transforming Academia for Equity project in the College of Public Health and Human Sciences is co-hosting a watch party for the short film, Trans Dudes with Lady Cancer. On Feb. 24. 

“With funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, TAE is building a culture of belonging and equity with the hope of dismantling racism and other systems of oppression ingrained in our society and institutions,” said Facilitator Stephanie “Steph” Corey. “An important part of this work is to uplift the cultures, assets, contributions of diverse communities and students.” 

This short film documents two transmasculine people, their families and their communities in their journey navigating breast and ovarian cancer within the medical system. Following the film, filmmakers Yee Won Chong and Brooks Nelson will be participating in a Q&A session.

“The screening of the short film Trans Dudes with Lady Cancer was inspired by our ongoing research project, the Thriving Together study,” Corey said.

The Thriving Together study highlights the stories and voices of transgender and gender diverse cancer survivors, and their support networks as they navigate the healthcare system. The study hopes to develop stronger strategies to support survivors and their support networks throughout treatment. 

“The goals of this event are to raise awareness and advocacy efforts for this community, as well as emphasize the need for institutional advocacy and support to help achieve health equity,” said Corey and the TAE team. 

According to Corey, TAE holds space for conversations and affinity for cultural groups in the Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Hub located in Waldo Hall, room 305. 

The free showing of the short film will take place at the LaSells Stewart Center, Construction and Engineering Hall from 2-4 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided and is open to the public. RSVP for the event: beav.es/5jR