Protestors demand ceasefire in Palestine at city council meeting

General Corvallis City Section Graphic

Emotions ran high Monday night as students, professors and community members gathered at the Harrison Boulevard Fire Station for a city council meeting to address a proposition for Corvallis to adopt a resolution supporting Palestine.

A new student organization, Students United for Palestinian Equal Rights, in conjunction with the community organization, Corvallis Palestine Solidarity, asked supporters to pack the room to show solidarity towards Palestinians.

“People in power are so influenced by other people in power. If small people in power declare support for Palestine, then the bigger ones will,” said Heba Bader, first-year Oregon State University student and president of SUPER, when asked about why she came.

Community members showed up in droves, draped in keffiyehs and holding signs, but the energy of the forming crowd was anticipatory.

With the council meeting room quickly reaching capacity, the lobby of the fire station was packed. People stood shoulder to shoulder huddled around a TV broadcasting the meeting, with speakers placed near the doors for the overflow crowd outside.

“I’m still impressed how many people there were,” remarked an onlooker who watched the evening unfold from outside the station. 

At the start of the meeting, Corvallis Mayor Charles Maughan announced the resolution would not be considered or come to a vote. Nevertheless, individuals who signed up to speak were allowed to discuss their support or concerns surrounding the resolution.

In total, 15 community members spoke, sharing the ways in which they would be personally impacted by the city of Corvallis publicly announcing support for Palestine. Many of these speakers were OSU students or alums.

Some individuals expressed that support for the resolution would be dangerous, citing rising levels of anti-Semitism and violence. Others noted that not supporting the resolution would be dangerous considering the staggering civilian death toll. 

The response to speakers became more impassioned as the evening went on. Clapping evolved into shouting and the room took on the energy of a protest compared to an audience.

Just as things began to reach a boiling point, the time for community commentary ended and the crowd dispersed.

Despite the mayor’s ruling that the resolution would not be considered, passionate community members still spoke passionately about the topic

“I’m disappointed,” Bader remarked at the end of the meeting. “I feel like everyone has a right to say their opinion and say their piece, but I do think the resolution should at least be considered.” 

Individuals in support of the resolution say they will continue to fight for a ceasefire and liberation in Palestine.