ASOSU elections close March 1: Everything Beavers should know

Teresa Aguilera
This illustration shows an approval stamp on a ballot to indicate ASOSU endorsing measures.

Editor’s note: A graf was removed from the original story as it misrepresented the role of ASOSU advisor.

Oregon State University students have until March 1 at noon to vote in the 2024 Associated Students of Oregon State University election.

“Through their votes, students have a direct say in what their student fee is and how it is used.  Voting is a way to ensure that their interests and values are represented in ASOSU and their OSU experience”, said Keri Simonet,  ASOSU’s Government Advisor.

The open positions for this election are ASOSU President, ASOSU Vice President, Student Fee Committee chair, 18 Senator positions, 15 for undergraduates and 3 for graduates, and 5 SFC committee members at large positions, according to the 2024 election packet.

The ASOSU President will handle administrative affairs, such as overseeing the ASOSU budget, performing policy oversight to the executive committees, task forces, and staff of the Executive Branch, representing ASOSU and increasing visibility on and off campus, and performing the duties outlined in the ASOSU Statutes.

All presidential candidates have a running mate contending for the position of ASOSU Vice President, who will assist the President in representing ASOSU. They also serve as President of the Senate, and also often participate on boards and committees such as the Recreational Sports Committee or the Memorial Union Advisory Board.

According to the ASOSU Voters Guide, the five presidential and vice presidential candidates and their platforms are:

• Adrian Bernel Caneles and Diego Mendez: This ticket plans to promote diversity and representation, build upon existing work and community partnerships, and enhance institutional transparency, among other ideas.
  • Audrey Schlotter and Zach Kowash: Included in their platform are plans to promote student experience, student health and wellness, and to listen and respond to the voices of students.
  • Chandler Donahay and Will Garrison: Part of their platform is to make information more accessible to students, expand student media, and support student organizations.
  • Efimya (Mya) Kuzmin and Angelo Arredondo Baca: Amongst the plans in their platform they intend to invest in student health, and increase disability access and sustainability on our campus.
  • Nathan Schmidt and Narmeen Rashid: Part of their platform includes creating a culture of honesty, openness, and accountability, implementing fee-saving measures, and putting inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of their goals.

The ASOSU Senators make up ASOSU’s legislative branch. They vote on fee requests and pass bills and regulations for OSU. Many of these are presented to them by the SFC, according to the election packet.

The SFC Chair presides over the SFC meetings. The SFC focuses on budgeting of student fees and creates budgetary guidelines to present to the Senate. The Chair specifically reports the recommendations made by the SFC to the senate.

The SFC Chair candidates for this election are Cole Peters, Kyle Locke, Lillian Judith Goodyear, Madison Wusstig, Shawn Aundrae Durr, and Sofia Nowers, according to the voters guide.

More information on these positions and how they represent students can be found in the election packet, and a full list of candidates and their platforms can be found in the voters guide.

The inauguration of ASOSU’s new government will take place on June 1 and they will remain in position until June 1, 2025.

Simonet said that students should never underestimate the impact of their vote, and that students’ voices matter in shaping the future of OSU.

“Every vote contributes to the collective decision-making process,” said Simonet. “Be an advocate for voter participation among your peers. By participating in the voting process, you take ownership of your future and contribute to building a society that reflects your values and aspirations.”

To find your ballot, check your school email or place your votes through this link.