Huang complex breaks ground at OSU

Grant Hurd
Addressing the crowd of supporters, Jen-Hsun Huang and Lori Huang speak on how the impact of the new Huang Collaborative Innovation Center will help students and staff in the development of new artificial intelligence technologies. The groundbreaking event for the beginning of construction happened on April 12 in the Kelley Engineering Center Plaza.

What was once four parking lots at Oregon State University, will now house one of the world’s biggest supercomputers in OSU’s newest complex to come in 2026.

From a donation from Jen-Hsun Huang, Founder and CEO of NVIDIA, and his wife Lori — both OSU alumni — the new complex will be a three story, 150,000 square foot building. 

It will house a super computer with multiple parts from Nvidia, a multinational technology company focusing on Artificial Intelligence, from the Huang’s $50 million donation. 

A groundbreaking ceremony for the Jen-Hsun and Lori Huang Collaborative Innovation Complex at OSU was held in the Kelly Plaza Friday morning, and the speeches were closed out by Kassy Bonanno, a junior and a legislative advocacy assistant for the OSU Foundation.

“It’s an honor to share the stage with such incredible peers today,” Bonanno said. “Thinking back to my first day at OSU, trying to fit two lives worth of belongings into a dorm room the size of a beaver dam was my first unofficial collaborative and innovation projects.” 

The ceremony speakers included Jon Devaan, co-chair of the Believe It campaign, OSU President Jayathi Murthy, Governor Tina Kotek, the Huangs and Bonanno at the ceremony.

“When we think about what this complex is going to do for the institution and for Oregon State, it’s absolutely amazing. I’m a little biased. I think their mission was already on the map as a leader in innovation,” Governor Tina Kotek said. “But that pin on the map just got a whole lot better. This is important for our country, not just our state.”

The Huangs were met with a standing ovation after an introduction from Governor Kotek.

“Oregon and Oregon State University means a lot to us. This is our home. It is also extraordinary, because Oregon State possesses the excellence in an area that in this partnership, we can imagine

changing the arc of nature in the reverse,” Jen-Hsun Huang said.

The complex plans to engage not only computer science, but also the material sciences, robotics and AI learning. 

“All great science will lead the assistance of amazing computers and artificial intelligence to augment to amplify the capabilities of the researchers to study and tackle scope of problems. Scale of problems so large unimaginable the past. Oregon State University now has the starting point of the essential instrument for this new future,” Huang said. “These are extraordinary times and we’re really proud of Oregon State University. Thank you for, for raising us.”

The supercomputer is one of the fastest in higher education. It will allow students and researchers access to a new level of learning and collaboration that OSU officials are looking forward to.

“With trusted, disciplined research and teaching you strengthen oceanography, forestry, engineering and agriculture,” Murthy said. “The university is uniquely positioned to leverage this cutting edge technology to drive solutions that make a difference in Oregon, the nation and the world.”

The Jen-Hsun and Lori Huang Collaborative Innovation Complex is set to open in 2026, and further updates can be found here.